Riggin' that burgee

Jim Wilson

WCHA Member
Ahoy,

Here's a question for you sailors out there. I picked up one of those spiffy burgees with a staff at assembly, and I am trying to decide how to rig it to the staff. I know I could just tie it on, but I'm thinking that there must be a more traditional/official way to do it.

I looked through Todd Bradshaw's "Canoe Rig" hoping that there might be something there, but no luck. Everything I've seen on line has burgees flying in the rigging.

I'd hate to do something that's not NC (nautically correct). Help me out here.

Thanks to all you swabbies,

Jim

Generations of Irish canoe sailors wrestled with this same problem. The initial attemps were to use an adhesive made from all-natural ingredients. As it turned out, on damp days, or days with a lot of spray being kicked up, it failed miserably. It did, however, turn out to be pretty tasty on a cold winter night. It was called "Burgoo".:D

Seriously, Most people I know just tie them on. If I wanted something really classy, I might opt for a couple little bands of turk's head weaving or something similar around the staff to anchor the ties. A little halyard with some gold sash cord might also be pretty neat, if you're into an engineered solution. When famous conoeists die, you could run it at half-staff for a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks, Todd. I guess I will just go the simple route. It wouldn't be the first time I have "tied one on".

Jim

Back