Restoring the Inside of a 1950 Shell Lake Boat

Treeguyus

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Thank you am a new member. This boat was built like a canoe, hull is encapsulated in canvas and built by the Shell Lake Boat Company. So why I am posting on this site? Heard this group is always helpful. So with that, would like to finish the inside of this boat. I want a functional finish as I will use the boat for row trolling/fishing . Appreciate help and advice.

A little about me. My wife and on Long Lake Park Rapids, Minnesota. We love wood boats and have a collection of all sizes. Enjoy working on them. We are both semi-retired. Here is a new find I will start working on.

Attachments

• inside to finish A.jpg
    inside to finish A.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Inside finish B.jpg
    Inside finish B.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 57
  • inside finish C.jpg
    inside finish C.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 58
  • inside finish d.jpg
    inside finish d.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Your boat is built in the cedar-canvas style just as many canoes are, and it is perfectly appropriate to post here about your work on it. Boats (including canoes) with age like this may need more than just a refinishing of the inside. By this point the canvas may need to be replaced as well. Photos will help people here assess the canvas' condition (as well as can be done by photos), but for now, if the paint and filler are checked or flaking off, or if the canvas is coming loose at the gunwales, it is probably time to replace it. Even if it doesn't have obvious problems it still might be time to replace it. Canvas doesn't last forever.

You might be very happy with the final result of a full restoration, and if you decide to go that route (or even just refinish) consider one of the good books out there. Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow authored what is often called "the Bible" of canoe restoration, The Wood and Canvas Canoe, A Complete Guide to Its History, Construction Restoration, and Maintenance:

Mike Elliott has also authored a book on canoe restoration, This Old Canoe: How to Restore Your Wood-Canvas Canoe:

Either or both will give you lots of great information.

A book specifically on finishing? I have loved Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood ever since it was first published back in 1990 (the title doesn't say so but it Is about wooden boat finishing):

As for simply dealing with the interior, doing a great job involves far more detail than at least some people (like me) are willing to write here, but in a nutshell you could (1) sand well enough to remove loose buts and roughen the surface, or (2) strip all the way down to the wood, "clean and bleach" the wood (for details use the search button above). Then build up a good thickness of fresh varnish using a quality marine varnish from makers like Epifanes, Pettit, Interlux or others. Some people use "off the shelf" varnishes from home centers and hardware stores to save money but in my experience you get what you pay for - better vanrishes can be expensive but they give great results. My personal preference is for products by Epifanes but other people like others.

That said, this doesn't look like a simple varnish job if you really want the boat to be its best. There are areas that appear to be thickly coated with some kind of resin, likely epoxy. Something is not right with the outwales. My guess is that this was an open gunwale boat that has been modified.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mike, here is this same boat flipped over. I haven't purchased the boat yet...and I need to see the boat in person. The seller is very negotiable on price. Appreciate your honest assessment. You have been very helpful

Attachments

• Flipped on the trailer 4.jpg
    Flipped on the trailer 4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Flipped on the trailer 3.jpg
    Flipped on the trailer 3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Flipped over on the trailer 2.jpg
    Flipped over on the trailer 2.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 52
  • Flipped Over on the Trailer 1.jpg
    Flipped Over on the Trailer 1.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 54
Glad to see you made it here. While I am not an expert on wood & canvas construction (I do understand it quite well) , to me it looks like you should be able to get some more life out of that canvas with some TLC.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (to me), but I think your Shell Lake may be covered in fiberglass. When you see the covering follow into crevices as it appears above, it's likely 'glassed. Also, the texture of the surface looks like resin that wasn't smoothed out very well. Rap on the hull with something hard, from your fingernail on up, and listen to the sound. Canvas has a softer sound; fiberglass had a hard, sharp sound. There are plenty of threads here on the pluses and minuses of fiberglass/resin and its removal.

Really appreciate every ones help and honesty. When I looked at the pictures (boat flipped over) saw the imperfection that you mentioned. Haven't purchased this boat. When time allows will drive 3 hours to look at it. I have concerns about the paint peeling along the keel too. My goal is to make it a functional fishing boat, not expecting show quality, instead a vessel I can use on small lakes, row trolling. It comes with a trailer and a 7 hp out board. If I end up getting it, my intent is to bring into my shop and work on as a winter project. Working on it will give me experience. A nicely restored version of one of these would be 6 times what he is asking for this one. Here is a 28' St. Pierrie Dory that I restored, and it took 24 months to do. I learned a lot like a heightened respect for these wood vessels.

I added a photo of the Nexus transom for the outboard.

Attachments

• Dory at launch.jpg
    Dory at launch.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 41
  • Dory 1 transom.jpg
    Dory 1 transom.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Dang, not sure what they are asking and agree with comments about fiberglass etc. But it looks like you have the dedication to make it happen! Interested in seeing how you move forward.

Here's a Shell Lake boat and I have procrastinated putting on the canvas. Note the gunnels.
Beautiful live aboard you have there.

Attachments

• Shell Lake gunnel.jpg
    Shell Lake gunnel.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 38
Here's a Shell Lake boat and I have procrastinated putting on the canvas. Note the gunnels.
Beautiful live aboard you have there.
Thank you for the compliments on the Dory it is a fun boat with a displacement hull. The motor is a out board 40 hp 4 stroke. Are you going to strip and refinish the inside.

Looks like you are still quite a ways from canvas. What’s to note about the gunwales?
If I'm correct, his gunwales are factory but someone set them higher when they reskinned. I'm scared to make a mistake on my own Shell Lake. I've got the canvas and the boat is ready, although dusty from sitting in the barn.

You are correct. The gunwales on the boat up the thread look to be above where they should be. You know where they go properly. Be not afraid!

Really appreciate every ones help and honesty. When I looked at the pictures (boat flipped over) saw the imperfection that you mentioned. Haven't purchased this boat. When time allows will drive 3 hours to look at it. I have concerns about the paint peeling along the keel too. My goal is to make it a functional fishing boat, not expecting show quality, instead a vessel I can use on small lakes, row trolling. It comes with a trailer and a 7 hp out board. If I end up getting it, my intent is to bring into my shop and work on as a winter project. Working on it will give me experience. A nicely restored version of one of these would be 6 times what he is asking for this one. Here is a 28' St. Pierrie Dory that I restored, and it took 24 months to do. I learned a lot like a heightened respect for these wood vessels.

I added a photo of the Nexus transom for the outboard.
Did you buy the boat?

Back