Replacing stems - serial number question

greenvilleguy

'42 Yankee OTC
OK, here is a weird question. I'm replacing both stems in my Old Town so effectively, the serial number will no longer be part of the canoe.

Is there something I should do to perserve the serial number?

(BTW, I found the last 3 digits of the serial number written on the outside of one of the garboard planks. Strange?)

Jerry Stelmok has Old Town's stem forms .He can stamp the original serial number into the new stems.

Would be nice to use the same font as OT did. The Harbor Freight set looks like a no-frills set, while the numbers on my OTs are a bit fancier. Just a thought.

Thanks. I see the set from Harbor Freight.

Am I overthinking this? Is this a really an issue? It's not a particularly historic canoe (1942 Old Town - Yankee) or even a rare one.

What have others done when they replaced the parts containing the serial number?

Original S/N preservation.

I have band sawed off a 1/4" slice of the old stem containing the S/N and mortised out a corresponding thickness on the new stem. Epoxy the original stem slice containing the S/N to the mortise in the new stem and Voila, original numbers in tact!!

Ed

what i did

I had to replACE both stems on an OT. I called Old Town and they sent me stems that were excellent and stamped with the original number. Once that number is gone---it's gone for good. I think that what is interesting about a canoe is the story that goes with it. remove the number and you remove the story. I also write on the canoe under the canvas to pass along info. I think it's pretty cool to find pencil marks and names under canvas.

Wow! Now I have 3 good options, stamp the serial number myself on the new stem, preserve a slice of the old stem with the serial number or order new stems from Old Town.

If I order new stems from Old Town, I'd miss the fun of trying to bend them myself.:)

I would slice and set in long before I bought and used the Harbor Freight numbers. As said the font style is different. Also all 3 of my OT's, 29, 37 & 52 have numbers that are 1/2" in height not 3/8".

I agree preserving the original numbers is preferred over the made-in-china 3/8" option and wouldn't dare imprint a rare or historically significant canoe with such trash ;) BTW, I believe Jerry Stelmok is now the man behind Old Town wooden canoes and all things attached - maybe he could shed some light on the magical font.

Just think... a 1942 Old Town may not be rare or historically significant no, but by the next time it needs new canvas... who knows???

Be an optimist! :)

Back