Removing adhesive from planks?

bev200

Curious about Wooden Canoes
We have removed the fiberglass from the 1939 Old Town that we bought from the auction at this year's assembly. Do we need to remove the adhesive that is remaining in patches or can it be left on? If it needs to come off what method works best?

Attachments

• 100_9584[2].jpg
    100_9584[2].jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_9585[1].jpg
    100_9585[1].jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 241
Pour some acetone on a rag, wipe it off with that, it should cut it. Use gloves and a respirator and do it outside.
-Chris;)

You could also soak the hull for a few days, then use a heat gun to loosen it - scrape it off and hopefully then the wood fibres will release the resin without too much fibre pull and tear - that is, if acetone wont do the trick. if you leave it on it will telegraph through the canvas, and sanding it is precarious since if you touch the cedar it will gouge and you can take the heads off the tacks in a blink of an eye, loosening the planking.

Acetone will make old resin tacky on the surface, but it's not likely to wash it off without a very long battle. Sanding, as pointed out, is risky because any time you slide off of the hard resin and hit raw cedar, it dishes very quickly - usually before you can react. Heat gun and scraper is probably the best bet, though it's going to be a slow process. The other possible option might be chemical stripper. Some of the extra-nasty aircraft strippers work to some extent on resin.

Some folks believe that soaking the boat is a good way to remove fiberglass, but unless it's already delaminating, or prone to delaminating as the wood swells a bit, this isn't technically likely to happen. Water doesn't release well-bonded resin from wood. In this case, the residual resin that you're dealing with is pretty well bonded, which is why it didn't come off with the glass. The bond between the surface resin and the wood was stronger than the bond between the surface resin and the glass. Aside from taking your chances abrading it off, softening it with heat or pretty strong chemicals is probably going to be the most effective means of removing it.

heat

Yes it needs to come off. Do not sand, wood is softer than resin. never found a chemical that is easier than heat. Keep the heat gun the right distance so you don't scorch the wood, each gun is different. I like a pull type scraper. Keep the blade sharp with the file. work with the grain runout of the planking, and don't worry, yours looks like an easy one. Mine didn't have a single square inch of bare wood. Good music helps.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 220
If you have a lot of time, the Sun is the best remover of any fiber glass resin left behind.

The same UV that breaks down our varnish does the same to just about anything that does not have UV protection and most adhesives don't.

I left a canoe out for a year and the stuff comes up like potato chips.

Get another canoe and work on IT while you're waiting.

Paul

Sorry but heat seems to be the only reliable solution.

I recently restored a 1940ish 16' Peterborough Cedar strip rowboat which someone had covered, the entire outside, with resin. No fiberglass but lots of resin (as a substitute for varnish I suppose???)! I won't get into the details but it was an "interesting" experience getting that off.

I don't like putty knives or any scraper that you push. It's too easy to catch an edge of the grain and lift a chunk of wood out. I always use a pull scraper and as Craig points out, keep it sharp, work with the grain and I might add, go slow and use a light touch to avoid gouges.

Thank you

The heat gun with the pulling type scraper has worked really well. Thank you for all your comments.

Methylene chloride stripper will remove most polyester resin from the exterior and even from between the planking. If I have a canoe that has lots of resin left on the exterior, I have the pro furniture stripper who does my canoes strip the exterior of the hull in addition to the interior. Doing both interior and exterior will even remove SOME of the resin between the planks and ribs- not all. The stripper is miserable stuff, but " there ain't no free lunch" Gil

Here's what I did with methyl chloride furniture stripper and heat gun w/pull type scraper... That stuff was really stuck on there! Did the heat gun/scrap first, followed by the stripper. The stripper softened it for removal. Needed a few applications.

Attachments

• 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_0114.jpg
    100_0114.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_0115.jpg
    100_0115.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 192
Back