re-bending inwales

Canerodz

Trout Bum
I didn't get enough up-sweep in my inwales when I bent them in the boat using the old wales as a mold. I think that with the last 10" or so gone there just wasn't enough structure to get the right curve. Can I boil the tips and re-bend or will having been heated and bent once rendered them too brittle?

I can't soak them in the pond until May now, but I have some time and would like to get this little chore done.

Thanks!

No problem

I actually put one on upside down and had to rebend it the other way. But don't tell anyone. I'm probably the only person to have done it. I used steam and a camper sewer hose and a CLEAN steel gas can. I got pics if you need em.

Actually, in order to introduce more flexibility you can take the piece out of the steam box, bend it in the opposite direction, straighten it out again (all while hot), put it back in the steam for a few minutes, and then take it out and bend it around your form. This processes just seems to get the cells loosened up and used to moving a bit more. Your final bend will be easier.

I don't remember ever doing it after the first bend was cool and set, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Haven't had to do that a second time with rails but just recently I had to reboil and bend a deck on my Old Town. First try there wasn't enough bend and then I had to leave home for a week. Came back and reboiled and bent on my adjusted jib with no problem. Was using white ash. I would expect that since the rails are so much smaller to begin with you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also make a simple bending form of plywood. Pour boiling water from a kettle over the gunnels, maybe a few times, till they get hot. Then clamp the gunnels to your molds.

You can over bend a little, at the point of the most curve, to accommodate for springback.

Also, leave them clamped in place for at least a week. The longer you leave them in place, the better the bend is set.

My technique

I wrap the ends of the rails in old towel, go around about 3 or 4 times. Tie with string. Pour boiling water on the towels every 3 or 4 min. for about 20 to 25 minutes. Cut the string remove the towels and bend away. I have had great success with this technique,

Back