Qws 2010

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
Quiet Water Symposium is in the books. Had a great time and got to see many members. Not to mention the small boats. All kinds. Gil canvassed three using the clamp-free method. I especially enjoyed getting to check out a Baker canoe that got new canvas and is being restored to immaculate condition. I took some photos.

Attachments

• 201_2208.JPG
    201_2208.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 201_2209.JPG
    201_2209.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 201_2210.JPG
    201_2210.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 201_2211.JPG
    201_2211.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 201_2212.JPG
    201_2212.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 201_2213.JPG
    201_2213.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 351
And a few more.

And here are a few more photos.

Attachments

• 201_2219.JPG
    201_2219.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 342
  • 201_2218.JPG
    201_2218.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 322
  • 201_2217.JPG
    201_2217.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 201_2216.JPG
    201_2216.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 201_2215.JPG
    201_2215.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 201_2214.JPG
    201_2214.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 329
and

here are the last two. i shoulda' done better takinng pics. Next year. Especially the canvassing and all the other canoes. I enjoyed seeing all the skin on frame and stitch/glue and strippers. Quite a variety and all high quality. A very well run event. AND I won a door prize-canoe tie downs. And Randy Hunt won Subaru caps/fobs. Got to visit with Debbie Darga and Russ Hicks and Dave McDaniel and Connie, and Wendy and John Kimpel of the Mi chapter, and Gil, and many others. Including Pete Matthews, who gave me pointers on getting a better finish. I even got a private fly casting lesson from a qualified TU instructor.

Attachments

• 201_2221.JPG
    201_2221.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 201_2220.JPG
    201_2220.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 333
Great show

It was a good show. And to see so any WCHA members was wonderful.
I enjoyed getting to say hello to Rob from Canada! Can't wait for the spring paddle when we all can visit , paddle, and make plans for NH. Thanks Russ
for all your hard work through the years. Enjoy retirement!

Andre'

Clamp free, yes. But still stretch and tug. Gil lays out the canvas on the overturned canoe on sawhorses. He then puts a couple staples in one end thru the canvas into the stem beyond where the canvas will later be split. These staples are later removed. He goes to the other end and pulls it tight by hand (put your foot on the stem and pull) and puts a couple more temporary staples in the other stem. He then works from the middle to the ends as usual. Sometimes you have to remove a couple staples to readjust but that's normal under any circumstances. Once the temporary staples are in, you can put a couple staples amidships and then roll the canoe rightside up or upside down, any way you want. Butter up the ends and fasten as usual. one of the photos shows the normal pucker at the staples along the sheer. Gil makes it look easy. All the while explaining the process. Gil mentioned, and I believe it, that more problems come from stretching too tight than not tight enough. A good trick to eliminate loose spots or large puckers is to wet the canvas with water (spray bottle) and shrink fit with heat gun or a flat iron. Well, that's enough gossipping about Gil. for now.

Ah

I knew I was forgetting something, I wanted to meet Rob in person, and didn't. Rats. Sorry Rob.

Dave, clamp free - as in no stretching? regular weight canvas?

I was somewhat amazed to see the canvas being applied (on 3 canoes) with out significant effort to stretching. Not sure of the weight of canvas, but it was an 18ft canoe. There were no come-alongs or bracing to the ceiling (it was done upside down). It was mostly done manually, without too much visible effort, and the finishing touches done with artists canvas stretcher pliers.

I knew I was forgetting something, I wanted to meet Rob in person, and didn't. Rats. Sorry Rob.

I thought of you while passing through Lapeer, but thought I'd see you at MSU. I was there until 2PM. Guess we weren't wearing big enough name tags?

Rob, I also didn't get to say hi again, though we were probably standing in the same crowd watching Gil.

Name tags might be a good thing.

Dan

Rob

I was the good looking one.
Dan was the intelligent looking one.

I think the canvas was number 10 standard stuff.
I think Gil actually does quite a bit of stretching and pulling, by hand. He just makes it look easy. Gil is one tough man for all the work times three.
Oh, and I think it was two 17' and one 16' canoe. Not positve. Where's Gil when you really need him?

It was really great to see so many WCHA members @QWS. It's always nice to talk canoes with old friends and new ones. It was good to meet Dan and Rob in person. Once again, the QWS board did an outstanding job. Russ Hicks, the Michigan Chapter coordinator, has been the QWS executive director for 4 years, and has been instrumental in its success and growth. Thanks Russ and family( they were in charge of door prizes and lots of other things).
Thanks to Debbie Darga for operating the WCHA table, and Mike Darga for helping her and especially for HELPING me with canoe canvassing. It has always been a fun day. Thanks to KK for the end of day refreshment,and Dave, thanks for the photos.
As for canvassing by hand; A lot of Years ago at an assembly, I overheard Harold Gates describe how he canvassed canoes. He claimed that he always placed the canvas next to the furnace overnight and canvassed by hand the next day. One year, Jack McGreivey was on the program demonstrating canvassing by hand.
Some time after that Chris Merigold, Ric Puls, and some other Wisconsin members sailed across Lake Michigan on the ferry to hold the first WCHA Michigan chapter event somewhere along the Ausable close to Red Oak. We "gang" canvassed a canoe. From that, it looked to me as though hand canvassing wasn't too difficult. We did the first hand canvassing demo @ a Michigan Woods and Waters show in Imlay City that fall; Rakwetpaddle , Bud Luce and I. The following day, we filled the canvas with Blue River aircraft dope which eliminated any wrinkles.
Since then, I've helped hand canvas many canoes. Most of the time it has been with #10 canvas, but one 18' guide used untreated #8. Michigan member Skip Gibson and I supervised hand canvassing two 25' war canoes for the Boy Scouts with untreated #4 canvas. Gil

Dave,
The canoes were an 18' guide; a 17' Otca, and a 16' Baker. I didn't provide the canvas, but I believe that it was all untreated #10. Gil

Back