Possibly dumb question, but best place to sit solo in a 16’ 2-seat canoe for load balance.

ColinRowntree

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Okay, I finished the restoration of my 1936 OT last week and launched it in a local pond. As my wife didn’t want to go along, I then sat on the aft drivers seat thwart with no one in the front, pushed off, looked over my shoulder to wave at my wife on shore, and instantly capsized from the weight shift.

Once bailed out, I launched again, now knowing how my far aft placement was making it “tippy” and all was well until I got back ashore and she showed me a photo of me out there looking like a kid popping a wheelie on a bike, bow way up in the air and stem riding very low.

So, advice? My old knees won’t take kneeling in the center, plus I have a gunwale mounted trolling motor and wouldn’t be able to reach the throttle bar.

One thought is to simply reverse the whole thing. Sit on the front passenger theater which is a lot further amidship and cruise essentially stern first.

Also looking into a center ash/cane center seat but that then puts the motor throttle bar beyond reach without some sort of extender pipe (plus the pricing on these is pretty insane. Good ones running at over $250).

Suggestions?

Here’s a few shots of the maiden voyage 3 days ago described above so you can look at the load balance and wheelie effect. (and me getting out of the 50 degree water with only my ego bruised).

Thanks!
Colin (the guy who has always had larger wooden sailboats and this is his first canoe)

p.s. the 25 pound lithium marine battery for the motor was under the front thwart in these shots.

Attachments

• IMG_7283.jpeg
    IMG_7283.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7284.jpeg
    IMG_7284.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 35
Hi Colin, no question is ever dumb. Although I've never run a canoe with a motor attached I do most of my paddling solo. You are correct in suggesting using the bow seat, then facing the stern for better weight distribution when using a canoe solo. This will help trim the canoe to better make it track for you and since the canoe is wider there and the bow seat hung a bit lower than the stern it will make it more stable for you with your weight lower in the canoe.
You may have to rig something up to work your motor as you'd be further from the end of the canoe but I can assure you that you'll be more stable.
Hope this makes sense? Enjoy your canoe. Gary

Colin
I agree with you and Gary on sitting on the forward seat backwards.
I think you should put your battery as far forward as you can to get the front end down.
If you need more weight up front, put a bucket of water in the canoe.
As for reaching the motor handle, the extension is one way, or you could modify or build a motor mount that moves up to the seat you are on.
Otherwise just paddle it

I agree with Dave about the bucket of water. You can put in as much or as little water as you need for good trim. 5 gallons of water is 40 pounds, and positioned far forward that makes a huge difference. And best of all, you can just dump it and refill it, so you are never carrying the full bucket of water!

I would imagine we all have felt the wobble from looking over our shoulder in a tender canoe.

When paddling locally, I use a five gallon flexible plastic water carrier, partially filled, as a counterweight. The soft plastic doesn't harm the interior finish and nestles easily forward in the canoe to provide balance. And yes, I paddle from the bow seat with the canoe reversed. I imagine most wood/canvas canoes are symmetrical so hull performance is the same no matter which end of the canoe is 'forward'. When tripping, my gear stowed ahead of me serves the same function.
tempImageB40UjO.png

tempImagenLuWr1.png

Colin,
We have all been in embarrassing situations before so don't feel too bad about your mishap. About 40 years ago I was out for only the second time with my new Mad River solo at the Hudson River public landing in my home town. In the process of getting in I managed to dump over completely and get soaking wet in front of everyone that was watching from shore. To make matters worse the photographer from the local newspaper captured the entire affair on film. I begged and pleaded with him not to put it in the newspaper. Fortunately he must have felt pity for me and it never made the paper saving me from further embarrassment. It was a teaching moment for me about how to get in a skinny solo boat so it was not all for nothing!
Enjoy your newly restored canoe.
JCC

Though one of our greatest presidents, and though well known as a lover of boats and boating, and though he served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy from 1913 to 1920, FDR was perhaps not at his best in a canoe.

fdr in canoe.jpg

(The birchbark canoe was built by Tomah Joseph, and is on display at Campobello Island.)

Back