Planking measurements

mtapia

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm starting with my first wooden canoe works and have a couple of questions:

- It seems that the common planking widths are 3'' and 4'', but actually when people talk about that, are those nominal or actual measured dimensions? I'm asking because the actual planking width in my canoe is 3 1/2 ''

- I have read that getting right the planking thickness is very important, and that small differences will be noticed. Question: There's some standard thickness between 1/8 and 5/32 ? or you can expect to have one or the other? My planking definitely is thicker than 1/8, but it gives the impression of being slightly less than 5/32... could be that is normal? or maybe it's because the wood is very dry and old... (?)

All feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
mario

If this is a repair, then just match the original as close as possible. If this is a new build, then chose what you like and make it all the same.

Most of my planking I make to the Peterborough/Chestnut size of 2 3/4" width. This allows me to pull planking out of stock for the repair work. Wider planking will cover a canoe hull faster, bu.t is the seams will show shrinkage to a larger degree. Narrower planking will have more seams, but they will end up smaller when the planking does evenutally show shrinkage

Thanks a lot for your answer Douglas (I should have been more clear that this is a repair). The shrinkage is an interesting point that I will keep in mind.

Thanks!
Mario

Back