Placing thwarts, Bending ribs,

Troppo2929

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello; Troppo here;

Two quick questions.

My canoe has changed shape a bit after sitting for so long, (Not unlike humankind). Should I force the inwales back into shape or will the two thwarts work fastened just a bit differently than they were before, the variance would be less than two inches further aft.

I am dealing with a series of six fractured ribs in a row, two forward of midships, mid, and three more running aft. Should I bend all of the ribs at once? How long will they hold shape?

I take you are going to bend the ribs over the outside of the hull offset to make up for the difference between the outside and inside of the hull. You can bend them all at once if you want, but you should do the replacing one at a time skipping every other rib and then go back and do the ones you skipped. The bend around the outside of the canoe will get you a close approximation of the shape you need, but when installing, I sometimes give them an additional soaking with a towel soaked in boiling water to get them to fit tight as I install them, usually around the bilge, it needs some additional coercion. You can leave the bent ribs on the outside of the hull as you replace them if there is room, that will let them keep the shape while you do the installing of them, or else just strap the ends after they are removed and re-fit them using hot water and the towel when installing.

I think for the inwale shape, I think you will just have to make a call, you can try to force it by a series of bar clamps and leave them on for a long time, but it probably will spring back.

Hope this helps some.

Back