painting advice

frogahern

frogahern
I am restoring a w/c old town rowboat. It might be spending a lot of time in the water.(fresh). I am concerned about a marine topside paint. Should I use a marine epoxy paint, bottom paint or a combo of both (if I can figure out the waterline). Can I epoxy over the canvas filler and then paint it. Need advice. Thanks..........

Your best bet is a high quality topside marine enamel. It is the most common type used on traditional w/c boats. If applied according to manufacturer directions and stored off season out of the sun and elements, it should last at least 5 years and probably much longer. I've used both Kirby brand and Epifanes Yacht Enamel on w/c canoes; both are excellent paints.

Bottom paint is designed for sailing and motorized boats that spend prolonged periods in the water. It contains various 'anti-fouling' chemicals to combat marine plant and animal growth on the hull. That's typically not an issue for w/c canoes and rowboats, unless they sit in the water for weeks on end.

While epoxy paint is extremely durable, it has significant disadvantages. It's prone to cracking when used on non-rigid surfaces such as w/c hulls, which are slightly flexible and will expand/contract with moisture and temperature changes. Enamel will flex, expand and contract more easily without cracking.

I would discourage putting epoxy on the canvas filler and then painting. It goes against the traditions of w/c boat building technique, and it's difficult to repair and restore, should that ever be needed.

The terms 'topside' and 'bottom' paint are misleading, when it comes to w/c canoes and rowboats. Under normal use and conditions, you don't need the anti-fouling properties of bottom paint, and a good quality topside marine enamel will work just fine on the entire hull, both above and below the water line. Good luck!

Back