Paint removal

There is no way to know for sure what you will find under that paint until you actually apply stripper and see what results.

Because the decks and gunwales on this canoe are birch and spruce, you should be able to strip the paint from them with a fair degree of success, and a light sanding may give you paint-free wood, or if there are very light traces of the dark paint remaining, they may effectively be hidden by staining the wood. If the paint was applied over intact varnish, stripping should be easy and give good results. But if the paint was applied over bare, weathered wood, you may need to bleach the wood, and stain after bleaching may be needed to give an acceptable appearance. Decks can usually take a fair amount of sanding to remove stains, dings, scratches, etc. But gunwales cannot usually take a lot of sanding -- there just isn't enough wood.

Complete paint removal from open grain woods such as ash or oak can be much harder, because paint pigments get into the open grain pores, but this should not be an issue with birch and spruce -- unless the wood was abused, scratched and/or battered, in which case, paint pigments may be hard to remove from the damaged wood. If the wood was stained at any time prior to being painted, stripper may not remove the stain, and if you do not like the color, bleach might lighten or remove the stain color.

I have a UFO that was once owned by an engineer who worked for a major airplane manufacturer. The inside is painted white, and nothing I have tried so far has removed any of the white paint -- probably some high tech aircraft paint that would only come off with chemicals that I wouldn't want to use (if I could even get them). So that canoe interior is going to stay white.

If what is on that canoe is just ordinary oil- or water-based paint, I think it unlikely that you will have a major problem.

I should have noted the painted rib tops -- removing paint from them will be virtually impossible, because it has almost certainly been sucked into the grain of the cedar -- deep enough in that neither stripper nor simple sanding will likely remove the end-grain paint completely, and given that the paint is black, I think you are going to be stuck with black rib tops -- unless you want to cut the sheer down perhaps 1/8" or a bit more. To do this, of course, you would want to remove the gunwales and decks. If it were me, I would probably put fresh black paint on the rib tops after stripping the gunwales -- even varnished, the rib tops tend to look dark.

I suppose you could try to strip the gunwales in place -- the chief difficulty would be to not get stripper on paint or varnish that you do not want to strip. I'm not sure how much, if any, protection masking tape might give -- I assume that it would not give much, and that at least some touch-up painting of the canvas would be needed -- but if you are planning to repaint, or to paint a decorative stripe under the gunwales, protecting the exterior paint wouldn't be much of an issue -- just paint over any minor damage.

However, taking the outwales off is often not difficult, if the screws are in god shape -- the task is a bit tedious because the paint must be dug out of each screw slot before you can back the screw out -- but still may be worth the trouble.

Protecting the interior varnish would be harder -- but again, if you are planning to varnish, perhaps not much of an issue also. Removing the inwales is much more of a project.

Given that the thwarts and seat frames are also painted back, I would strip them first, just to see what I was dealing with, and to see how well or how poorly the paint comes off. It's hard to tell the condition of the paint and varnish from the photos posted earlier -- maybe there is just a lot of dust and dirt that can be washed off, but -- it looks as though a new coat of paint would not be amiss, and it looks as though the interior varnish has seen much better days -- a new coat or two of varnish seems called for at a minimum, if not stripping the old varnish and re-varnishing anew.

Are you planning to redo paint/varnish in the next couple of years, or are they better than the photos sow and are good for a longer term? If they are going to need to be done in a relatively short time, but not right away, you might consider painting the decks/gunwales a more attractive color until the time for a complete paint/varnish do-over is done -- especially if the complete do-over will include a new canvas. Stripping interior varnish is often done at the same time as replacing the canvas. It does look as though there are at least two coats of paint on the canoe (the top coat seems to be peeling/flaking), which suggests that the canvas may be quite old. for a discussion of painting over old, flaking paint, see < http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?9711-Repainting-my-16-Faber&highlight=flaking+paint > and the links in that discussion.

Back