Outwale Grain Orientation

enggass

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Looking for opinions... When creating Outwales - Edge grain being on top, and leaf grain facing out, what would be the best scenario for bending ... A wider face(leaf grain) or wider edge (edge grain) or square? What would you do for ease of bending... Thanks all!

For bending purposes you’ll have more success orienting the annular rings parallel to the surface of the bend. In other words, the edge grain (or vertical grain) should be oriented on the sides. Ideally the width should be greater than the thickness being bent to prevent the stock from “rolling over” or twisting. Depending on what dimensions your canoe calls for, this may or may not be possible.

I'm still a bit confused. I have created some rough diagrams with the different scenarios. Could anyone please indicate what would allow the greatest ease of bending. I would experiment, but I do not have a lot of wood to work with...
(the dimensions are exaggerated for discussion purposes)
See attached pics.
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Gunwales_AB.jpg
    Gunwales_AB.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Gunwales_CD.jpg
    Gunwales_CD.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Steve,

My preference is D below, but usually, for me, it's not quite that "cut & dried", as the grain usually is something other then perfect edge or face grain. (I've never heard the term "leaf grain" before.)

Also, while the bend is more in one direction, in reality, it is bent in both directions, ie, vertically and horizontally to follow the shear.

I've sometimes had as much trouble getting the horizontal curve to match as the verticle curve.

I like to bend my rails over a form rather then the canoe, in part, because then I can better control the bend in both directions. (Plus I can continue to work on the canoe as the rails are setting.)

Dan

Thanks Dan, my gut is telling me 'D' as well - perhaps one last option would be a square outwale. I definitely am going with the face grain on the outside and edge grain facing up.
Steve

I usually let the wood tell me what way to bend. I sight down the stick to get a feel for what way it wants to go. With the exception of bending mahogany for older, high fast rise in the shear canoes, it has worked for me.

Back