Otca Restoration

Larry S

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I own an Otca 16 that I purchased new in 1965. After 40 years, the canvas has finally given up. I plan to recanvas and make some other needed repairs. I've read both of Stelmok's books, but I have some questions:

1-When is a rib broken? If I have to discard every rib that has a crack, I'll be building a new canoe around the few that would remain.

2-Why doesn't anyone spray on varnish? I revarnish my boat about every four or five years. I know my way around camel hair and foam brushes. Since the last time I varnished, I purchased a HVLP spray paint outfit and have become quite proficient with it. I can shoot the entire boat in the time it would take me to brush the forepeak. Most of the work is in the prep. I don't want to blow it with the application...What am I missing here?

If the crack is stable it may not be a problem. Any rib broken in two places or a single, unstable crack, will affect the lines of the canoe. Since the canvas is off it is the best time to replace anythingthat could fail later. Perhaps looking for a local supply of rib stock, even if you pay to have them rough cut, would be cheaper than buying pre-formed replacements from Old Town.

I did not re-canvas and I 'sistered' several cracks. They are lost among the rest of the 'beauty' marks 'cept for the one I keep hitting w/ my foot....

That one is so anoying that I wish I hadn't been so mule-headed about keeping the original canvas. When Dad bought this one, used in '74, the camp had already done the inside w/ a dark stain-varnish. I always wanted to see the interior wood bright & natrual & settled for that.

Last edited:
Back