OT HW help please

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I’m making good progress on my Old Town HW 18’.
Can someone provide me with thwart and seat position details and also if possible a picture of an OT carry thwart (is that what they’re called – the small ones at the decks?)

Thanks
Sam

Here are some pictures of an ash carry thwart from a 1928 HW -- should be much the same shape as they were in 1920.

s IMG_0039.jpg s IMG_0042.jpg

Longest length, 9 1/4" -- thickness, 3/4" -- width at ends, 1 1/4" -- width at center, 1 3/16"

I'm attaching pictures of the carry thwarts as they were installed -- I wouldn't think exact fore/aft location is critical -- also the length could be adjusted a bit by adding or subtracting a bit of material at the thwart ends, as might be needed to fit thwarts in your canoe. (The diamond-headed bolts in these pictures did not come into use until a couple of years after your 1920 canoe.)

s 100_7634.jpg s 100_7623.jpg

I can't help with location measurements for the seat and other thwarts for your 18' canoe -- I do know that the installed location of seats varied a bit from time to time.

I don't have an 18 foot long HW but can provide this information from my 18 foot long Otca from 1936 which should be similar. The forward edge of the bow seat is at the 16th rib back from the bow. The back edge of the bow seat is at the 18th rib back from the bow. The forward quarter thwart is between the 19th and 20th rib back from the bow. The middle thwart is in the middle of the canoe (obviously). The rear quarter thwart is between the 19th and 20th rib forward from the stern. The forward edge of the stern seat is at the 12th rib forward from the stern. The back edge of the stern seat is between the 9th and 10th rib forward from the bow. Someone with an HW can probably provide more detailed information. Please reply here if you want more details. Thanks,

Benson

Thanks for these. When I'm back from holiday I'll start to get these done
Sam

Back