Old Town Trapper pole

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Oops, thats "poll"! Those of you that own a Trapper, give me positives and negatives. Very curious!!!

Last edited:
I have always liked the Trapper model but you may want to expand your poll since the Trapper is built on the same form as the Fifty Pound, Lightweight, Featherweight and Ojibway models. The Trapper name originally designated that it was covered with fiberglass instead of canvas although that model is available today with canvas. I have one from 1914 and the hull and stem shapes look a bit different from the current version. Can you be more specific about your question?

Benson

Trapper or fifty pound model

Well, I have the chance to get an early Trapper/50 lb model. I want a canoe that isnt real heavy, but will be able to do my everyday canoeing with. Maybe a week trip out of as well. I mostly canoe rivers in Michigan and this seems like a nice all round canoe, although I know there isnt a canoe that will do everything well. I do have a Mad River Explorer, and it is a really great canoe, but I do like the "feel" of a wooden canoe.

I think that the Trapper would be an excellent option for your plans. You may want something larger for your week long trips if you have more than one person or conditions where some extra freeboard is important. My experience is that the lightest canoe almost always gets the most use. Have fun,

Benson

I have a 1936 50 lb. Old Town. It is great to paddle nearly empty with two people. It is great to pick up as it actually weights about 58 lbs. (I always understood that Old Town called it the Trapper when the weight went over 60 lbs.) For one person camping for a week it is great. But, with two people and gear for a week, one would want a bigger canoe. Also, for people over 225 lbs. it is probably built a little bit on the light side. Also, just for interest sake, it seems that the bow and stern are not perfectly alike. If you place a bunch of them in a row so you can sight down the lines, you will see what I mean. Then, turn the ones that don't look right, around and suddenly all the ends look the same. I saw this at Paul Smith's several years ago.
I agree with Benson, a light canoe gets the most use. I love mine.

Lightweights

I have a 1960 vintage lightweight I'm rehabbing for a relative. I can't tell you about performance yet, because it ain't done, and it is on hold until I get mahogany to bend (see related thread :mad: ). I do know it has thin 1/8 inch planking and much of it was busted on this canoe, so I guess handle with care.

I've attached a photo of it next to a Bob's Special. The Lightweight is on the right. Note replaced planking

Attachments

• TwoCanoes.jpg
    TwoCanoes.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 341
Back