Old Town serial numbers

Greg Burnard

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I must tell you all that I have not found a more helpful and sincere group of folks in ANY of the forums that I visit. Now to my problem. I had the build records for most of these canoes before I moved my shop. Now they're gone.The serial numbers are: 125155-13 (my keeper), 140047-16(another one),174598-17(a beauty),and 114902-17(has a lot of bad things)

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.--------Greg Burnard

Greg: I've checked my file either side of #125155 and the scans skip from 125154 to 125173 so that number I can not give you, maybe Benson or Mike can help us out. The other three canoes were all shipped to the Binghamton, NY area between 1935 and 1965.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 114902 is a 17 foot, CS grade (maybe GS grade) HW model with a keel and sponsons. It was built between November 1934 and March, 1935. The original exterior color was orange with a bright green hair line stripe. It shipped on April 24, 1935. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 140047 is a 16 foot, CS grade OTCA model with a keel and outside stems. It was built between May and August 1944. The original exterior color was light Yale blue with a GS green bottom. It shipped on August 21, 1944. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 174598 is a 17 foot, OTCA model with a keel. It was built with 2 3/4" planking with reference made to the inside gunwales being mahogany. It was built between February and April, 1965. The original exterior color was design #4. A copy of the design is attached. It shipped on June 1, 1965. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

These scans and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your boat. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Al

Attachments

• 114902.GIF
    114902.GIF
    60 KB · Views: 268
  • 140047.GIF
    140047.GIF
    34.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 174598.GIF
    174598.GIF
    57.3 KB · Views: 260
  • OT Design #4.JPG
    OT Design #4.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 272
Al, Thanks a lot for the build records. I may have missread the umber ofthe other one. I'll check it as soon as I get back to the lake.

Another question if you don't mind. When did OT start using the Diamond head seat bolts?

Thanks again, Greg

Hi Greg--

Old Town canoe number 125155 is found on scan number 14047 of the OT Canoe Co. records on CD... and it doesn't appear to be your boat. The record that comes up is that of a 16 foot square stern with open spruce gunwales, a keel, outside stems, a floor rack and sponsons, painted a combo of dark green and tropical green and shipped April 14, 1939. I'll poke around the build records for something a little closer to what you have....

Old Town began using the diamond head bolts about 1922, according to a previous reply in Forums by Dan Miller.

Kathy

Back