Old Town serial number help?

PRC

I'd like to learn more about my Old Town wood and canvas canoe. Serial number is 27,896. It's 18' long, and 36" wide. Thanks in advance.

Old Town 27896 comes up as a 17 foot CS (common sense, or middle grade) Charles River model canoe. Please check the serial number again, on both stems, and compare. This canoe was finished between July 1913 and February of 1914, and would have the standard Old Town short deck of that era. If your canoe does in fact have that serial number and is 18 feet long, posting a picture could help us discover what you have.

27896 has closed spruce gunwales, red Western cedar planking, maple decks, thwarts, and seat frames and a keel. It was originally painted New Haven green and shipped to Lancaster, PA, on April 9, 1914.

The scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you and anyone else reading this will join or renew membership in the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot 27896.jpg
    ot 27896.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 236
this looks better---

Thanks, Gil-- this one fits the length, and has a cool aspect I can yak about.

Old Town 127896 is an 18 foot CS (common sense) grade Guide model canoe, finished June and July of 1939. It has white Maine cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, half-ribs, and keel, and was originally dark green. Wood species of decks, thwarts, and seat frames isn't specified, but on Guide models it is sometimes oak, or could be any of the other hardwoods that aren't mahogany.

This canoe was shipped to the Forest School at Douglas Lodge, via Park Rapids, MN on May 6, 1940. Douglas Lodge is in Itasca State Park, and I will attach a picture. It's very cool. Itasca is at the headwaters of the Mississippi River.

I'll attach the image of the build record--- read the blurb above please! If this doesn't fit your canoe, say something and we'll look some more...

Kathy

Attachments

• ot127896.jpg
    ot127896.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 240
  • douglas-lodge-at-lake.jpg
    douglas-lodge-at-lake.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 235
I think that's a match!

This fits - I got the canoe at an estate sale in Minneapolis, and I know there were connections to Lake Itasca. The canoe is collecting dust in my barn, and as much as I hate to part with it, I think I'm getting ready to sell it. I used it some on *big* lakes in northern Minnesota in the 1990's, and it always handled beautifully.
Thanks for all of your help!

Back