Old Town Canoe i.d. needed

sbloes

I recently acquired a wood and canvas Old Town canoe with a serial number of L 10007 15. Any help with identifying it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town serial numbers don't commonly have letters and the build record for number 10007 shows a 16 foot long canoe. My guess is that you have serial number 110007. This is a 15 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, fifty pound model with red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, a keel, a floor rack, two number one grade curly maple paddles that were four feet long, and one double width spruce slat back rest. It was built between June and December, 1931. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on December 9th, 1931 to Lyons, New York. A scan of this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that this canoe could have another number or manufacturer if the description doesn't match. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-110007.gif

Thank you for this information. On closer examination it does look like what I mistook to be an L is actually a one. Your description matches in terms of the wood for the various components except that the boat does not have a keel. At some point in its life it was fiberglassed so I am considering options in terms of restoration. It is a very light boat. I can lift it even though I am 66 and weigh 122 pounds. Not sure if that is because it would have been heavier when it was canvassed. Thanks again, Susanne

Attachments

• tempImageTdJKFU.png
    tempImageTdJKFU.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
There should be signs of the keel screws in every other rib even if the keel is gone. The Old Town Canoe Company catalogs from 1967 to 1974 listed this canoe covered with a light canvas known as the Lightweight model that weighed 58 pounds. The identical canoe with "polypropylene fiber reinforced plastic" (a.k.a. fiberglass) covering was known as the Trapper model and weighed 55 pounds. The same one with a Dacron covering was known as the Featherweight model and weighed 46 pounds. Good luck with your restoration decisions,

Benson

You are right, the screws are still there, every other rib. I am thinking they must have ground them down after removing the keel. The fiberglass looks like some one just did a crap job. The epoxy or whatever is was, was not applied neatly and it was not sanded or finished, just painted over. I took it on the pond and it is a lovely little boat to paddle, I just hope I can do it justice when I get to the restoration. I guess I will need to research the specs on the keel. Anyway, thank you for all your help. I am happy to have the information.
Susanne

Susanne,
That will be a nice canoe to restore. It should be possible to carefully remove the fiberglass and put a fresh canvas on it. The canoe will probably weigh a few pounds less after it is recanvassed.
I note that you live "nearby". If you are interested in a referral to someone who could do the work for a fair price, shoot me a PM and I will pass along his contact information. He is located within 40 miles of Lyons. I am not his agent, I do not stand to gain financially or otherwise, he is a person I trust.
You may start a conversation with me by holding your pointer over my avatar to the left side of this post and selecting the "start conversation" radio button.

MGC,
Thank you for offering the referral. If that is the direction I decide to go I will keep it in mind.
Susanne

Back