Old Town 16' Cedar Canoe

donlw

This past November, while passing through Ashland, WI I saw a sign at a restaurant there advertising a 17' Old Town cedar canoe with a pic that had been posted for $1900 but the price was crossed out and marked down as $1200. I called and went and viewed the canoe, being sold by a woman who had fallen on hard times and had no way to keep the canoe secure and it was a bit weathered on apex of deck and outer gunwales but seemed basically unused. I found it was actually 16 feet and was covered with fiberglass. She claimed to have gotten it when she won a raffle and also gave me 2 new Old Town ash paddles that came with the canoe when she won it. I was very glad to have found it to be 16 rather than 17 feet and plan to remove the keel. I found that Old Town still makes the canoe as the Otca or Guide for $8000. I don't know if it is the Otka or the Guide but do have the serial number which is 434119. Any help tracking down the canoe details would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Don Watson

Our scanned bud records only go as far as 210xxx. But there seems to be something wrong with that number in any event, if the canoe is an Old Town. Take another look at the number, which should be stamped into the stem ends at both ends of the canoe. Photos would help, of both stamped numbers, and also of the canoe -- full profile, decks, thwarts, seats, bolt heads, an dany other detail that seems of interest.

Greg

Thanks for your help and advice, Greg and Benson. I am emailing both of you pics of the canoe in question. Didn't have any success going from phone pics to WCHA website with the pics (my ineptitude).
Benson, my perusal of the Old Town site comes up short on finding a link or phone number to any archival source of info., as it seems that customer service seems to be involved in just business for a wide variety of corporate sales.

Back