Old Canoe Image of Old Canoe

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
I'd like to discuss the canoe in an image currently on eBay-- an old glass slide showing what appears to be an indigenous person of North America in a canoe that looks like an early EM White or similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-White-Lan...llectables_Photographs_MJ&hash=item45f70575f5

I would snarf the image and post here, but for some reason when I upgraded to Windows7 the method doesn't work (it was right-click and save, then right click and save-as IrfanView image). If someone else can add the image, people will understand this discussion after the eBay image has evaporated.

Anyway... what I assume to be canvas pieces are installed from rail-to-rail below the decks-- toward the mid-section-- on a canoe that I assume is wood/canvas. Perhaps this was done to protect provisions/gear. Does this indicate a time frame other than "early"--- is this (for instance) pre-1890?

Was this something the old guides installed on their bark canoes... maybe one of the things leading to the use of canvas overall?

The seller of this item says "Canadian"... I've heard of older Maine canoes having this particular peculiar addition.... but am wondering if this was "a tradition" at one time.

Thought it would be good to mention and discuss this, in case someone runs across traces of this construction on a really cool old canoe.

Kathy

My guess is that the canoe is a bark canoe. In the UK, a canoe is what we call in North America a kayak, and an open canoe is differentiated by referring to it generically as a "Canadian canoe"...

e bay canoe

Hi kathy I got the picture lets see if I can post It. Jon K.

Attachments

• !B-DKoLwEGk~$(KGrHqF,!lkEy+jC1OjmBM7kOZU6f!~~_12.jpg
    !B-DKoLwEGk~$(KGrHqF,!lkEy+jC1OjmBM7kOZU6f!~~_12.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 274
e bay canoe

Wow I got that one to post.Now to try to post the other one.Jon K.

e bay canoe

Well I see i wasn't as lucky. Trying again

Attachments

• !B-DKqwgB2k~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM7kOi3RNw~~_14.jpg
    !B-DKqwgB2k~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM7kOi3RNw~~_14.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 312
e bay canoe

One more time:confused:

Attachments

• !B-DKqwgB2k~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM7kOi3RNw~~_14.jpg
    !B-DKqwgB2k~$(KGrHqR,!k8Ey+jC)40SBM7kOi3RNw~~_14.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 327
e bay canoe

Well for some reason it won't post as a thumbnail so get out the magnafier LOL:D sorry for taking up your time Jon K.

Native Canadian

At the time this photo was taken it was probably still pretty gauling to use the term Native American.
For the folks on the other side of the Atlantic that is.

Back