octa seat bolts

flybynight

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am currently restoring a 1919 OCTA AA. While removing the seats, a couple of the seat bolts began to spin and I had to cut the bolts off with a hack saw. My question is: What is the best way to remove the seat bolts and wooden plugs in the inwales?

Damian

The wooden spacer is fairly easy to replace with a section of wood dowell. The bolt is the peice of hardware that is worth saving if possible. If the nut is frozen in place and the bolt is spinning, I just take a pair if vice grips and grab hold of the wood spacer untill it crushes enough so I can grab the bolt to prevent it from spinning. I don't worry about hurting the threads because the nut is only on the very bottom and the theads in the middle of the bolt are not important.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I had already cut a couple of the seat bolts. I believe all but one will be fine. what would be the best way to get that bolt out with out destroying rhe inwale?

Thanks,
Damian

Hi Damian,

The plugs or bungs should be fairly easy to remove. They'll sometimes come out easily if you just stick and awl or icepick into the center and pry a bit. Other ways include (1) drilling a starter hole and driving in a screw to give you some mechanical advantage, (2) drilling a significant hole and then using a fine chisel to break out the remainder, and (3) drilling out completely using a brad-point drill bit or a forstner bit. The problem with the last suggestion is that the top of the bolt- underneath the bung- could really bugger up the cutting end of a good brad-point or forstner bit.

When the bugs are out, you should be able to push the bolts up and out. Then you might want to re-built the strength of the gunwale a bit, maybe using some CPES and plugging the hole with solid wood and after the glue has set, re-drilling for the new bolt. You can buy new tapered bungs from a variety of sources, or if you'll do this with any regularity or want to do it well, purchase a set of plug cutters. They're not too expensive, and you can make your own bungs to better match the wood you're working with.

Its a good thing you're wanting to do this well. While the Old Town diamond-head bolts are nice pieces of hardware, there's not much prettier than that beautiful uninterrupted expanse of mahogany on those early AA-grade Old Towns from before the diamond-head bolts were made.

Michael

Back