New Morris Find

divedog

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I picked up another Morris last weekend. It is quite a wreck, but I was really pleased to get it. Broken inwales, no outwales, fiberglassed, painted on the inside, heavy rotary sanding marks, etc... It measures 16' 4", and has 3 sets of cant ribs. Serial number 13161. It has an eagle on one thwart. Any info appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_5913.jpg
    IMG_5913.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_5915.jpg
    IMG_5915.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_5916.jpg
    IMG_5916.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 340
I've entered your canoe in the database. It dates to approximately 1914. The eagle detail on your thwart was probably added by a former owner. Looks like a lot of work, but many here have tackled such projects, so you know where to turn...

If you don't have the book (available in the online store), that has the most information, but feel free to ask questions. At present, we're nearing 400 known Morris canoes. I'll eventually write an update for the journal which will include some cool pictures Charlie Morris's great-granddaughter found.

Thanks for the information on your canoe!

Kathy

I don't think I have physically seen a Morris with those seats. I know the catalogs have them. Divedog they seem to be original? Kathy, how many in the database have the upgraded seats?

Hard for me to see exactly what is going on with the seats, Zach. They don't appear to me to be the late-19th century Moroccoline (faux leather) seats that Morris offered, if that's what you're thinking. The Moroccoline (also referred to as Pantasote) seats are found on only two known Morrises, and those canoes pre-date serial numbering. This canoe dates to the middle teens, and I think someone padded the seats rather than re-caning them (I had a Penn Yan with a similar look).

Norm Sims brought his Morris with this type of seat to the 2016 assembly at Paul Smith's. When his canoe was restored by Tom Seavey, real leather was used to replace the Moroccoline. I'll attach a picture, which shows that the leather-part fills the center part of the seat (which otherwise would be caned) and doesn't rise up higher than the frame of the seat, as the cushion appears to do in divedog's pictures.

Some early ads for Morris refer to the imitation leather seats as Pantasote, and I'll share an ad that indicates folks didn't need to worry about their seats going up in flames if they were of this type.

Eh-- pictures won't upload. I'll try later...

Kathy

Kathy,

I missed Norms canoes last year, I don't remember seeing it. I didn't realize that the Morccoline seats were that rare. Interested to see the photo of Norms canoe. I would like to see better photos of Divedogs seats also. Thanks for the info once again.

Z

I'm still having trouble posting pictures, even with re-sizing the image. I'll put the pictures of Norm's canoe on the facebook BN Morris page and try back here periodically.

You'll have a fun time stripping that interior, but I've seen much worse. All doable with patience. Good luck!

Okay that worked... I'd named the file "Norm's canoe" and changed that.

You can see that the padded part of the seat fits snugly into the frame and doesn't bulge over the top. Also, note the frame's wood species, which isn't mahogany like later seat frames on first grade Morris canoes. Several of the existing pre-1900 Morris canoes are trimmed in hardwoods other than mahogany.

The Pantasote ad suggests this material will stand up to a Viking funeral.

Kathy

Attachments

• Morris leather seat (1).jpg
    Morris leather seat (1).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Morris leather seat (2).jpg
    Morris leather seat (2).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 262
The seats are unfortunately not pantasote. They were replacements... chamois over plywood, bolted through a few caning holes.

Back