New kid on the block faced with decision

Jimbo

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello There,
I have been a paddler of fiberglass, kevlar, etc. canoes for many years and have always loved wood/canvas canoes but never had the opp to own one. I'm a woodworker too and always wanted to tackle the restoration of a vintage canoe. All of a sudden there is one for sale nearby at a local "trading post". The beast, as I will call it, is 22 ft long and wood/canvas. Everything seems in place, but someone has literally painted the canvas olive drab and stencilied military "stars" on it...making it a "war" canoe I suppose. The shop owner recieved it in trade for a firearm, and said the man who traded it called it a Richardson. Not much info on the web on this company...I was wondering if the 800.00 asking price was reasonable...and if the enormous size was an asset or detraction from the desirability of this canoe? Jimbo

I would look for something smaller(shorter). A 16 or 17 foot canoe would be much easier to lug around especially as your first wooden canoe. Keep looking, you will find one. As for the price of the canoe, hard to say without pictures.

Thanks for the reply! The canoe seems to be in great shape, with the exception of one cracked rib and the aforementioned military paint job. I imagine it would make a great fishing/family fun boat. The thing just screams adventure when you look at it! Hard to pass up, but $800.00 is a lot of money these days for something I dont really need (so says the wife).

Wait just one minute here!! Define really need. I own 3 canoes, and really need them all!! Again, I'd wait for something a bit more managable, but its your call.;)

New kid on the block faced with

I'll agree, you have to define "Really Need." I have four canoes here, and one waiting impatiently for arrival....

but $800.00 is a lot of money these days for something I dont really need (so says the wife).

Well, I suppose you could always go out and spend it on beer instead... I'm down to seven canoes and a couple guideboats myself. Won't be long before that number starts to go up again. Nonetheless, 22' is a honking big canoe, think carefully about how you are going to use this beast before breaking the piggy bank.

I'm wondering, if this canoe is a Richardson, and if it doesn't need any major :confused: work other than a new coat of paint...is $800.00 a reasonable price to pay?

Let's ask you a question a question or two....

Jimbo:

What kind of paddling do you want to do?

If you have a few younger kids and want to canoe camp with lots of gear, on flatwater with little or no portaging, the 22 foot boat may be the canoe for you.

If you typically go paddle solo, I think you could do much better.

If you just want the experience of restoring a canoe, this canoe may work too, but you may spend more money on materials.

So what are your thoughts about how you will use the canoe?

What part of the world are you in? Are other restoration candidates easily found in your neck of the woods?

We live in Pennsylvania, and frequently paddle on larger creeks and the Susquehanna River. We have two vintage Mad River boats..an Explorer and a Malecite, that I have fitted with Kevlar guards for rock banging and general carefree Class 2 whitewater fun. I have done several long journeys into Quetico as well (long long tick infested muddy portages), and like to participate in river sojourns with large groups of paddlers. We have teenage kids that prefer to be in their own kayaks. I envision the 22ft beast to be a river tripping boat that could carry a beer cooler or three, our 90lb very active Chesapeake Bay retriever, the fishing and camping stuff, etc.....basically what our Explorer (the pickup truck of canoes) does now, except bigger and better looking. Thanks so much for all the kind help with this!

You could always cut it back a little and make a nice square stern and use an electric motor to save on the paddling...I have a 19' strip built laker on the Grand Lake Stream style here in Maine...I use an electric motor on it...Nice way to sneak up on the wildlife without panicking them...JUST AN OPTION! :) Ticks and fiddleheads....:eek: that time of year again up here!...

Back