Neophyte here...need help identifying.

NCGRIZ

Curious about Wooden Canoes
May pick this one (16ft all wood) up to have a winter project. I'm new to the history of canoes and how they are made. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

20230728_094130.jpg

HI NC

You definitely have an Adirondack guideboat. These are designed to be rowed (hence the oarlocks on the sides of the boat. Most, like yours, have two sets of oarlocks so they can be rowed from different positions. Despite their apparently massive form, guidebooks are designed to be light and easy to carry by a single person. Yours may be missing a pair of longitudinal pieces of wood that would be screwed along the center of the boat, inside, up near the gunwale. These were for the placement of a carry yoke. If you search guideboats, you'll see this setup.

This guidebook may look pretty rough at a glance, but it appears to be largely all there and intact, and though it has a number of problems and old repairs, it is certainly restorable. That said, they are built in painstaking fashion with ribs sawn from source stumps (not steam-bent), and planking put on very precisely in "smooth lap" fashion, meaning that the planks overlap each other. The joinery was so precise that no filler was used between the planks and the boat had no covering material - just the hull and varnish or paint - many were painted originally.

There are some good books out there on guideboats. Among them are:

Hope this helps,
Michael

Michael and Benson I truly appreciate this information. If I do end up with it, these resources are greatly appreciated.

Back