Need to price canoe, sail, and canoe&sail package ASAP

JMWB

What is the value of a 1958 Old Town Sailing Canoe?
I have the papers.
The canoe needs work, still has faded paint on it, wood appears good inside but worn, but needs refinishing, one small hole hull. Canoe has been outside, but seat has been indoors so excellent condition.
Sail and rigging, rudder, paddles etc all have been inside my home so they are in good to excellent condition. I have an interested buyer for the canoe alone and or with the sailing parts so I am looking for the canoe alone price, sail and rigging etc price, and a package price. I need to know the value ASAP. This was a family member's canoe, but not the original owner.
Thanks for any help!
JMWB

As to the value of your canoe, it is difficult to make any kind of comment without knowing the condition of the canoe -- photos would be useful -- and its location. Even with such information, it is difficult to make a value estimate, and almost no knowledgeable person would make an estimate without actually inspecting the canoe..

For a discussion of determining value, see the post at:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

In addition to the factors discussed, consider the location of the canoe, relative to potential buyers -- transportation/shipping is a serious issue that will likely affect price. A few years ago I bought a canoe on eBay located in Mattawamkeag, Me. We live in Brooklyn, NY, and probably would not have considered the canoe at any price, except for the fact that we also have a place in in Dover-Foxcroft, Me., about an hour from the canoe seller. As it was, we were the only bidder. If that canoe had been located in eastern NY, Conn., or MA, I would have expected more bidding, and it may well have sold for quite a bit more than we paid for it.

As a WCHA member, you can place a classified ad here on the forums or in Wooden Canoe, our journal. An ad should include basic information such as length (it’s surprising how many ads leave this out), and an ad on the forums should have some good pictures -- look at several existing ads to see what works and what doesn’t.

Dave Wermuth's chart in the link above is a good starting point for figuring an asking price in an ad. And reviewing the asking price in current ads may give you some idea.

You seem to be in a hurry -- canoes often take time to advertise and sell. Needing to sell anything in a hurry decreases the likelihood of your getting a good price, and increases the chances of some buyer getting a bargain.

And saying that the canoe needs work introduces a major price variable -- "some work" ranges from a just a bit of paint to replacement of several ribs, some planking, and a new canvas cover -- which is why you are not likely to get an estimated value here.

Last edited:
Very good answer Greg.

Thanks!I appreciate your rplies and time. I do have a buyer locally so I was hoping to get a ball park idea, without too much more effort, in order not to sell the canoe, sail etc too quickly and have regrets later. The canoe seems fairly solid as a starting point for refinishing, the one hole mentioned is quite small and sailing equipment is all in great shape. I have actually had 3 people stop to ask about it, without a for sale sign on it.
JMWB

The only thing I can add is that a complete sailing rig can add some hundreds of dollars to the price of a canoe -- again, much depends on condition.
check your private messages.

Back