Need refinishing advice

revcp

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
2012-03-24 18.34.14.jpg

I'm heading out June 11 on another trip with my 18' 1925 Otca. I decided to revarnish the inside, gunwales and deckplates prior to this trip. There were some scratches on the latter two, a few spots on the ribs with bare wood showing through, etc., so it was time.

My questions is about the final few steps before varnishing (I'll be using Z-Spar Captains Varnish, 1st coat 1:1 with thinner, then 3:1, then two more coats at 9:1). Very few spots on the ribs are sanded to bare wood, a little bit more on the planks, and the decks and gunwales mostly have the shine knocked off. Is there any point in going first with a linseed oil / turpentine mix between the ribs, or should I just start the whole thing with my first coat of varnish/thinner?

Also, prior to applying varnish or any other mixture, so most of you just vacuum well and wipe down with thinner or do you use tack cloth?

Looking forward to getting your wisdom!

I usually touch up any bare spots through out the season with unthinned varnish. If the rest of the finish is good, I wash out the canoe well, let dry, lightly hand sand with 320, and give it one or two coats of unthinned Captains Varnish. Good luck, Pete

Hi Rev,

I don't get too carried away with varnish.

I would not use any oil/turp mix.

I would use the 1:1 varn/thin on only the bare wood, once that was covered/sealed, I would start putting on coats at basically full "strength", with maybe a bit of thinner to help it flow out.

3-4 coats on the ribs/planking/seats.

I send more time on the thwarts/rails and decks, as that's want most folks see when they look at a canoe.

I do thwarts off the canoe on a jig that allows me to rotate the thwart, to minimize runs, 3-4 coats or until I'm happy.

Rails get 2-3 coats or until I'm happy.

Same with decks but I'm fussiest about the decks, they should be perfect.

Oh, yes, vac and then a tack cloth.

Dan

Back