Nail split stems

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I am working on my Crandell and the stems have numerous splits from the nails of the previous canvas job as well as screw holes from the outside stems. What is the usual remedy to insure that the new canvas tacks will actually hold? I'm sure someone has come up with a solution. There must be something I can fill the cracks with. I don't want to replace the stems - in general they're fine except for the tips. Thanks

Jim Clearwater

i would use epoxy and some small clamps. you should be good to go after that. i'd drill each new hole as i go back to renailing.

Crandell Stems

Jim, I had the same issue with my Crandell stems when I restored the boat, I had to splice on tips as well, I stiff-brushed a liquid epoxy into the stems, probably enough that the planking's never gonna come off!!! but it worked out great, I bent new outside stems so I needed to predrill for the screws anyways, but when I did the canvasing the tacks drove just fine, no need to pre-drill for them...I would be interested in seeing your detail on the outwales and gunwale cap pieces, mine were pretty rotted off so I guessed on how to configure them...Todd

Thank you

Thank you to all for the advice. I was thinking along the epoxy line myself. Todd; The gunnell caps that were on my canoe were obviously not original. The canoe had been "repaired" a number of years ago and the caps were not right. I intend to use my 1904 Old Town as a pattern for the caps. The decks, seats and thwarts are mahogany - what the caps were made out of originally I don't know. The inwales are spruce. Thanks again. Merry Christmas to all.

Jim C.

Back