Mokr16020982 ???

Welcome!

Pictures are needed-- a shot of the deck, a look at the profile of bow or stern-- a shot of the seat and thwart-style. It's also helpful to know where the serial number was located-- on only one or both stems, on a rib...? and is it impressed into the wood or is it on a metal plate?

Records that would connect the serial number to an original build record--- and thus provide an exact shipping date--- exist for only a handful of canoes. But serial number styles can help define what you have, and some companies coded information into their serial numbers. Hopefully, the many minds that inhabit these Forums can figure out what you have!

Kathy

pics

ID is pressed in the hull on the Stern/Starboard side, the Thwart as you will see is not original, the decks are pretty plain

Attachments

• canoe 1d.jpg
    canoe 1d.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 0724102006.jpg
    0724102006.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 222
The babiche seats suggest a Canadian-made canoe. Closed gunwales suggest "older"--- most companies went to open gunwales by the early 1920s. Actually, that simple deck-style can help a lot to narrow things down.

It might be a Stowe/Mansfield rather than a Merrimack. Just judging from the deck shape. My two cents.

Jim C.

sent merrimack an e-mail

I sent Merrimack an e-mail. Lets see if they reply about that number. I do agree the 0 could be a C, however it clearly look like an 0 up close.

I will research Stowe/mansfield as well

thanks everyone.

Stowe Canoe

USCG lists Stowe Canoe Company Hull ID as "SCS" and "SWE", so I go with Merrimack, although these companies have a convoluted past.

"(SCS) WAS SOUTH COAST SEACRAFT; SHREVEPORT, LA; OOB 6/81. STOWE CANOE CO., PREVIOUSLY OPERATING AT SAME ADDRESS WAS SOLD 10/87. CHANGED FROM MSO NYC TO POM 921102. STOWE CANOE AND SNOWSHORE BECAME SNOW CANOE ON 5/23/94. 11/20/96 MAIL RETURNED. FORWARDING EXPIRED. OLD ADDRESS PO BOX 1271 RIVER RD STOWE VT 05762. 980625 NEW ADDRESS PER WISCONSIN DNR; WAS POB 1473 STOWE VT 05672; (802)253-7872. 991222 ASSETS ACQUIRED BY EARTH & OCEAN (EON)."

Back