Maybe a 12' Peterborough " Lightweight " ???

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Need help in identifying this one. It has the dimensions of a pre 1938 Peterborough 12' Lightweight. I can find nothing else that comes close but...She's rough, has been previously recanvased and patched up but it still floats. Appears to be Canadian made. Specs. are: 40 lbs., width 30", depth 12", 1/4" x 2" wide non-tapered ribs angle cut on the sides and spaced 1 5/8" apart, nice tight 2 3/4" planking, short 1" thick x 5 1/4"w x 9 1/2"l decks. Stems look to be original but no numbers can be found. Standard keel was fastened through every second rib. Bow seat was originaly caned Anyone out there have pictures of a 12' Peterborough for comparison or any idea what else it migbt be? Thanks in advance. 12'  wc canoe 004.jpg12'  wc canoe 009.jpg12'  wc canoe 002.jpg12'  wc canoe 005.jpg.

Last edited:
Shorty

Hi Dave:

I have a 12 ft. Peterborough Shorty Trapper, 1957 vintage. It has a serial no. that I don't recall off hand.

I don't have any decent pictures either, but I can take some if need be.

I don't think it has a keel, but that could have always been added.

Fitz

Attachments

• BManShorty.jpg
    BManShorty.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 230
  • BManShorty2.jpg
    BManShorty2.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 219
Thanks Fitz. A deck picture and deck dimensions would help. My decks don't have the normal Chestnut/Peterborough face under cut either. Anybody else have any ideas?

I'm wondering if could be one of 'Huron' type wood canvas canoes:

Bastien Bros built a 12 fter....

also Faber Canoes had:
Lightweight (1973):
Trapper 12' x 32" x 12"
Hunter 12' x 32" x 12"

While the one seat looks like what is in a Huron/Bastien Bros., the overall build quality is far above what Hurons generally look like. The shape, stem profile, and general look is very different, too. Hurons all have a consistent "look" to them. I can spot them at 100km/h going the other way on the Hwy.

I suspect that the Huron style babiche stern seat is an replacement and the once hand caned bow seat is original. Also the ribs and planking appear to be Red Cedar which wasn't used, to my knowlege, on Huron canoes. The center yoke was relocated due to inwale damage. This left two original mounting holes [ not shown in the pictures ] that obviously held 3/16" carriage bolts. I do not believe 3/16" carriage bolts were used by the Huron's. Just to confuse the issue it might be worth noting that the inwales extend the full length of the canoe but they had a top cap nailed to them at some time. Any chance we can get Dick Persson's thoughts on this one? Thanks again for all the input.

12'  wc canoe 007.jpg This picture shows the inwales a little better. Note also the rectangular seat spacers which appear to be original.

I don't get the feeling that its a Peterborough. I've never seen a Peterborough whose decks did not have the grain running right up the center instead of along one side. The gunnel ends are not typical, either, both the gunnel/stem termination as well the treatment on the outside.

I agree with Doug it isn't a Peterborough. The thick 1” decks, the bow profile, the nail holes from gunnel caps and the 1/4" ribs, in my mind point towards Faber as the builder. Their lightweight Hunter model is a possibility. The slightly better workmanship and the red cedar planking would be unusual, but not unheard of.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company
Buckhorn, Ontario
http://www.buckhorncanoes.com

Last edited:
Back