I need help identifying the manufacturer of my canoe. The serial# is 7461

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 201
The brass tag with a serial number on a flared stem and keel screws in every rib indicate that you probably have a canoe from B. N. Morris but it will probably take more pictures and other information to confirm this since there are no known serial number records for this manufacturer.

Benson

Last edited:
It is probably a Morris. I am assuming that is a splayed stem that is cut off by what looks like a completely unnecessary bulkhead. Kathy will be along in a bit tp give you a date range.

Were it mine, the first thing I'd do would be to remove that bulkhead. Wood floats, why is it there?

I'll post a few more pics. The bulkhead is there to cover a hole in the side and support the top that was gone. It can easily be removed. Im learning as I go and appreciate the help.image.jpgimage.jpg

Morris 7461 is likely circa 1910. "Circa" means "around the time of", so we could be off a year or so, but are refining the Morris date-range as we enter more canoes into the database and locate an occasional hint from paperwork. Let me know the length of your canoe and any other distinguishing features.

Morris is the featured canoe of our international assembly next year (mid July 2015) and we expect many to show up. I'm hoping for at least 100 of the 300-plus we know about-- and I think we'll learn a lot, once we get all of them together. Please come, and bring your canoe no matter what stage of restoration or rehabilitation it may be in. The event will happen at Paul Smith's College of the Adirondacks and will be more fun than you can imagine. :)

I've begun an entry on Morris in the Wicked-pedia, but can't put in some of the information I'd like to include because things there need to be cited to something already published... so this is rather basic information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.N._Morris_Canoe_Company

There's more information in the KnowledgeBase here on the WCHA website: http://forums.wcha.org/knowledgebase/Manufacturers:B+N+Morris+Canoe+Company
There are links to a couple YouTube videos there, where I point out Morris-features on a very needy Morris.

Thanks for posting about your Morris!
Kathy

The length of the canoe is 16' the decks have a slight curve in them. The stern deck was covered with canvas and most of the wood was rotted out. The bow deck I replaced by copying the stern. The gunwales were also covered with canvas with trim on top of that. The thwarts and seats had some kind of bullet proof paint on them. I'm not sure what kind of cedar was used but the ribs are lighter colored.

It's my understanding that by 1910 Morris was probably using Western Red cedar because the supply of high quality white cedar in Maine was insufficient.

My old Morris had replacement decks similar to yours, which suggested to me that my canoe may have had long decks.

Ran across this in a 1910 Abercrombie&Fitch catalog, regarding the Morris canoes they carried: "ribs and planking of finest selected white cedar"

Back