Lumpy but Loved

zutefisk

LOVES Wooden Canoes
28 ribs, 60 foot of plank, 2 pounds of tacks, a bit of stem, a couple ebay seats, and a whole lot of learning later, my chestnut pal is on the water.

You professional restorers definitely do not need to be looking over your shoulders. Her hull is not quite fair, the paint has some blotchy spots, one stem band is crooked, and there are a few drips in the varnish that I will sand out in a couple three years when it needs brightening. In honor of her little defects, I've christened her lumpy.

She floats real nice, got some compliments from the kayakers on lake union and the folks tied up at the guest moorage at fisherman's terminal.

Attached is a picture from her first voyage on the tidewater.

Attachments

• Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 414
You know, Zutefisk, I've been keeping and breeding some strange reptiles for many years now. Believe it or not, there's quite a market out there, and there's always the hottest new snake or turtle species, or abberant color or pattern mutation. Big egos and big wads of cash creep into the mix... Though it is never said so bluntly, the fascinated child with his lowly garter snake or corn snake is sometimes made out to be a second class citizen.

But just as any real love for a creature is fun, instructive, and simply wonderful, so is real passion for an old wooden canoe. "Lumpy" earned her scars, and it's great that you've gotten her back on the water. While Gerrish, Rushton and Morris may lead to starry eyes sometimes, a loving restoration of a work-a-day Chestnut is worth just as much to your own hands, and to the eyes of many people you'll pass on the water.

No apologies necessary- just enjoy!

Well said Mike,

Zute,
Nice work, have you found your next project yet. :)

While I may have more then my share of projects, they are for the most part working class canoes, and I love each one. For me the best part is knowing I started with something that was either rotting away or headed to the burn pile, and with some effort, put it back on the water.

Dan

ps, more pics are good too :)

Pals are really pals and sweet to paddle.A restorer that doesnt post here anymore (do not know why) told me 2 rules never said if there are more
! do not cut off your fingers
2 NEVER point out your mistakes
Good rules although I have to bite my tongue on # 2
Seems you followed 1 ok.
The picture of the boat looks great use it lots thats what they are for
Dan'l

Pictures of my 4x4 recovery gear at work stretching canvas and the lovely pink primer.

My next project is already in the backyard. 1955 Yankee. I learned from my first, this time I'll be starting with a fair hull, no visibly cracked ribs, and tacks that have not been salted. She's going to look pretty, but she won't paddle as sweet as the pal.

Attachments

• Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 181.jpg
    Picture 181.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 331
Back