Looking For Cane Seat Frames

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I would like to weave my own cane seats. However after searching for a few days I can't seem to find a pair of pre-drilled frames. Can anyone please provide me with a link?

Thanks,

Michael

That's because we all usually make our own.

Its not hard, basic square fram with 1/4" holes drilled on 3/4" centers, 1/2" in from the inner edge. A slight countersink on the hole edges is a nice touch.

I haven't seen any advertised, that doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen any. It's like Douglas says, most make their own.

In the next week or so I will be making a few sets myself so it would not be a problem to whip up an extra, if you cannot find some else where.

I will be using ash, mortis and tenon joinery and a seat size approx. 8 1/2" X 12 1/2"

I like to use a bit tighter (5/8" hole spacing) weave than what Douglas recommends but it makes no difference. It's just what I'm used to from past chair re-caning.

If you cannot find what you are looking for or don't want to make your own, let me know and we'll set you up with a set of seats....cheap!

Rollin or Jerry would sell you parts. Rollin does quite a nice little parts business and sell only real fine quality stuff. Presume Jerry is the same. If you weave em it should be cheaper.

Hole spacing is simply a factor of the size of cane used. I use the 3mm cane, so 3/4" is right for that size.

There is a guy in the Classified section that sells seats. Check it out, He is in Maine

A Big Thank You

Due to the generosity of one of our fellow members. He has made up two seat frames for me and I will be able to preserve and cane my own canoe seats. I believe this will be one of the most enjoyable aspects of my project. I will post photos when I finish.

Thank you,

Michael

Back