Looking for any information on Old Town Canoe serial#134363

Old Town 134363 is a 15 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade Ojibwe model canoe completed between December 11, 1941 and June of 1942. Note that this is right at the beginning of WWII. This canoe was built with mahogany decks with hand-holds, "thwarts with ash in place of slats", no seats and oval ash rails. The original color was aluminum. This canoe has features typical of scouting canoes, so it comes as no surprise that it was shipped to the Boy Scouts of America in Flint Michigan. Ship-date is June 29, 1942.

Because this canoe has non-typical features, it would be interesting to see a picture of it. I'm posting here as well as sending to your email, because these searches are interesting to others.

Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available athttp://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot134363.jpg
    ot134363.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 196
Kathy:
Because this canoe has non-typical features, it would be interesting to see a picture of it

Perhaps I can help in a "small" way. While the photos below are not pics of member Dunlop's actual canoe, they are pics of the only known "salesman's sample" of the Ojibway canoe made by Old Town, primarily for the Boy Scouts of America. This display sample was likely made in the 1940's, and was given to the BSA, where it hung for many years in their Schiff Memorial National Training Center, in NJ, and was also used for demonstration purposes. It was also on display during Assembly last year at Paul Smiths, NY, and currently belongs to a WCHA member from NH.

In these photos, you can see the unique 'hand-hold' decks, the very plain bars or thwarts and the typical aluminum color paint ordered by the Scouts for their canoes. The previous owner of this model grew up canoeing at the Schiff Center, where his father was caretaker and was allowed to keep the model when the center was closed and moved. He told me that, for many years, he had only ever seen Ojibway canoes made by Old Town, as used by Boy Scouts. He came to believe that all canoes had "plain fittings", and were only ever painted an aluminum color; not until middle age did he learn otherwise. Seats were never supplied in Scouts canoes as they were always taught to kneel, never to sit - thus the plain, thin bars. Hand-hold decks helped young boys to carry their canoes easily.

Hope these help. Happy New Year to all.
Roger

Attachments

• P1000227.jpg
    P1000227.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 173
  • P1000226.jpg
    P1000226.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Ojib3.jpg
    Ojib3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 184
  • P1000228.jpg
    P1000228.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 181
This helps a lot, Roger, thanks. What a beautiful little canoe! I hadn't seen that deck-style before and wonder how many of these canoes aren't recognized as being Old Towns.

Happy New Year!
Kathy

This deck style is unusual as shown below from another full sized example. The serial numbers are like any other Old Town so they can easily be confirmed that way.

Benson

Attachments

• Ojibway-deck.jpg
    Ojibway-deck.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 167
Back