Lake Mahopac restorstion question

owlsroost

Fishing Guide
I'm looking for the names of restoration folks around Lake Mahopac in NY. I have a OT Ideal that was restored in that area about 10 years ago. Unfortunately the owner has passed on and I'm curious as to may have done the restoration. It was a wonderful job. I am just trying to put together the history of this boat. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Schuyler Thomson in Norfolk, Connecticut restored a number of fine canoes in that region many years ago. He has since retired but AnyWho.com lists a Schuyler W Thomson at 15 Pine Ledge Way, Norfolk, CT 06058, 860-542-5131 who may be able to help.

Another option is to post the serial number at http://forums.wcha.org/forumdisplay.php?3 for a copy of the canoe's build record since restorers would often contact the factory for information about the canoe. Their name, address, and the date would frequently be added to the back of the build record for the canoe. Good luck,

Benson

Thank you Benson,

Actually I did have the serial number (88776 18)checked a month or so ago. I however didn't know that there could be notations on the other side of it. This is an 18 foot Ideal AA grade finished in Feb. of 1926 and shipped in June of that year to R.H. Macy & Co. in Long Island, NY. It then made its way to Lake Mahopac and eventually became the property of Charles Walker who I believe is the brother of the original owner. He had it restored approx. 10 years ago in or around Lake Mahopac. I took your advise and called the number you listed and got an answering machine from someone describing a pharmaceutical company. I left a message and we'll see if I get a response. Thanks for your efforts. I'll keep plugging.

You could also try sending a paper letter to his address since some old people don't like to use the telephone. His address in 1989 was 250 Bruey Road, Norfolk, CT 06058, 203-542-5081. There also was a Connecticut Chapter of the WCHA in 2000 that was run by Robin Lauer, 182 Florence Street, Winstead, CT 06098, 860-379-9338 or rdlauer_00yahoo.com who may be able to help. Let us know what you find,

Benson

Back