Kennebec Indian Decal

Canoeal

Canoe/kayak builder/resto
Does anyone know if the Large 6"x5" Indian decal was ever used on a canoe, or were they for other boats? I just recieved a quantity of these from the Granddaughter of the oringinal Treasurer of Kennebec. Looks like they would make a nice t-shirt Back....Al
Kennebec Indian.jpg

I have never seen one of these on a Kennebec canoe or boat. You may want to test one before making plans to use them. My experience with old decals is that they have lots of internal cracks which cause them to float away in hundreds of little pieces when you put them in water. Good luck,

Benson

Could digitize the image, and turn it into the logo for the next time Assembly features Kennebecs... or maybe even sooner?

I've seen it on the deck of one canoe - have a photo of it somewhere but darned if I can find it right now... my recollection is that it is on a 12' Junior model, which could mean it was added later, as the Junior was discontinued several years before this image appeared on a catalog cover. It's a honking big decal for a deck...

They turn up every now and again on Ebay and the like.

As one who has been involved in the Assembly T-shirt a few times, we have to be somewhat careful of cultural sensitivities when using an image like this...

Dan

Dan, That decal was on my 12' Junior model. I am sure it was added at some time, but the person that I bought it from said it had been on the canoe
ever since she had owned it.DSCN0128.jpg

I wasn't thinking of trying to use these...Although I have plenty to practice with 50+ I am sure still stacked and seperated with a paper film...But I know without some treatment they would crack...I just wanted to know what they were from....I am not so PC as Dan... The logo would IMO make a great T shirt. It is a piece of history, it is not like I created them. I accept that not everything historical pleases everyone...Oh BTW the pic is a digital scan I did it in 200DPI and one in 600DPI. My scanner does a lot higher...

Oh and the decal is not the same as the 32 catalog cover. The decal does not have the canoe ends on the catalog pic...

Oh and the decal is not the same as the 32 catalog cover. The decal does not have the canoe ends on the catalog pic...

Aye but it is similar enough that it probably dates to that time or newer. Not sure what you mean by "part of the sales display".

I've made shirts with Native American imagery (the Old Town 1916 design). So its not like I don't have a little experience with this...

It's a bold image, but there are two things that make it not a great choice in my opinion. One, there is nothing about it that suggests "canoe" and two, it doesn't say anything beyond "Kennebec". Anyone who isn't familiar with that specific image won't make the connection without help. If I were to do a Kennebec shirt (and I've been asked to in the past), there are a lot of better images to work with.

Dan, I agree that there are better images to use for a tee-shirt. Some of the Kennebec catalog color pics are great
and would make really neat shirts!

....Dave

I think that decal is cool as hell. You could add other verbage under or over it. I have an unused one if you want it scanned.:cool:

Back