J D Rushton Cedar Canvas Canoe

woodtinker

J H Rushton Cedar Canvas Canoe

Hi,
I'am new at this so please bear with me.I have a J H Rushton canoe I got not knowing what it was besides an old canoe.I thought it was in pretty good shape for an old canoe,maybe 40 or 50 years old .What do I know about old canoes. Then I saw the stamp on the inside keel.Did a little checking and found it to be from ,as near as I could see , was from around "1906" .I'am a fisherman not a collector so I just thought it would be a waste to beat it up just to fish like I do.
So I would like to sell it to someone that knows what it is. I really don't know what it is worth ,so don't ask me what I want for it because I will tell you something like $5000So what is it worth to you?You can't really make an offer with out actually seeing it .I would like to show you when ever you would like.I was getting ready to canvas it ,but I stopped before I did something wrong.
I'm located in upstate New York :View attachment 15507 right side rear full.jpgView attachment 15509View attachment 15510View attachment 15511View attachment 15512 Blossvale , New York, 13308

Last edited:
Sal's IG

Hi,
So I would like to sell it to someone that knows what it is. I really don't know what it is worth ,so don't ask me what I want for it because I will tell you something like $5000
You can't really make an offer with out actually seeing it .I would like to show you when ever you would like.I was getting ready to canvas it ,but I stopped before I did something wrong.
QUOTE]

Sal,

Generally canoes offered for sales are listed in the classifieds here. Here is a link that explains the process for listing a canoe:
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?6214-How-do-I......&p=33231#post33231
Note that you may post adds for free if you are a WCHA member.
Are you a WCHA member? Yes? Great! You can post ads for FREE. Not a member? You can join the WCHA for $35 and enjoy all the benefits of membership- Wooden Canoe magazine, FREE ads, etc., OR you can buy an ad for....$35. Go to the online store to pay for a membership or an ad.

When you post there are a few things that you ought to mention about your canoe, such as the stem that has been replaced, ribs or planking that were replaced, the carry thwart and certainly the serial number (148?). Anyone interested in your canoe will be interested in trying to assess it's age and true condition.
I do agree with you that anyone preparing to make an offer should see the canoe, or at a minimum you should provide more photo's of the important details such as the seats, thwarts, replacement stem and any other work done etc.
Since you have a lofty expectation for the price it will bring, you may actually find that having someone finish the canoe for you would help to increase it's value...given that it is done correctly. You might need to lose the replacement thwart and any other modifications made to get to maximize your price.
Keep in mind that many old canoes cost as much to restore as they are worth so it's unlikely that you will receive any offers approaching your estimated value.
Here is a link to a pricing guide that is worth a quick read. Check "the Wermuth scale" out and read Benson's article.
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

Good luck Sal, the IG's are desirable canoes.

Last edited:
Back