Interesting find in Manhattan

Billm

Canoes & Guideboats
Several weeks ago, while killing some time in lower Manhattan (not my usual stompin' grounds), I wandered into a

small cafe to find some nourishment. I immediately noticed a beautifully restored Charles River-style wood/canvas

sailing canoe hanging from the ceiling. I asked the waitress about the boat and she said it belonged to the cafe

owner who wasn't there at the moment.

I was back in the area a week or so later and finally met the owner. He said the boat was a Kennebec, built in the

early teens. He found the boat in a barn in the lower Hudson Valley and spent several hundred hours restoring it.

He said he also had four boxes of documentation from the Kennebec Company. The following day I stopped back and he

showed me some color catalogs, a large Indian-head decal and some old newspaper articles.Then he brought out a book

containing what appeared to be the original stock certificates issued in 1909 to a Mr. Terry and a Mr. Grant. He

said he also had all the original printing plates from the Kennebek catalogs.

The gentleman expressed some interest in attending the Assembly at Paul Smiths to share this information with

interested members. The last time I visited him he hadn't made a decision about whether he would attend.

And his cafe serves great crepes!

Attachments

• CC1.jpg
    CC1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 255
  • CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 254
So -- what is the name of the cafe and where is it located?

Those of us who work in, and live near, lower Manhattan would like to know!

Greg

The tentative plan is for Kennebec to be the featured theme of the 2016 Assembly. It would be great if this cache of resources could be brought to light.

Back