Info on serial# 134712

Jon k

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi this is my first post. been lurking for a while.I have been looking on the web for a project canoe. i missed a 1926 old town I could not get enough info to feel confident to buy. this one popped up today it will also need alot of work. this one will also be a long drive to get. It has repaired ribs (brass plates) It will also need some new planking the outer gunnel is missing and the canvas has been removed. I am a newbe and dont know if i am going to get in over my head. I have aways loved the older canoes I have a plastic one but the price is right to go to wood and canvas.thanks for any help with this endeavor. Jon k

Welcome to the forum; sounds like you're in the right place. Somebody with the Old Town records may pop in soon with the build record (the SN sounds Old-Town-ish), but until then, ask questions, & post pictures.

Also check out the Chapter listings, to see if there's a local chapter, where I'm sure you'll find willing & able hands & advice.

Thanks for your reply. It is an old town it is supposed to date back to wwII times.I am hoping that somebody can post the build sheet that i have seen posted on other threads.thanks Jon k

The Old Town canoe with serial number 134712 is an 18 foot long, GS (Guide's Special or low) grade, Guide model with white Maine cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, ash decks, ash trim, half ribs, and a keel (although the keel appears to have been installed just before it shipped). It was built between January and May, 1942. The original exterior paint color was G. S. (Guide's Special) green. It shipped in May 5th, 1942 to Milwaukee, Wis. A scan showing this build record is attached below.

These scans and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Attachments

• 134712.gif
    134712.gif
    276.7 KB · Views: 197
Old town#134712

Hi all, thanks for the reply Benson.From the pictures I saw there Is no keel
Also the outer gunnels are missing on both sides.The rear deck and the top half of the rear stem and two top pieces of the planking both sides Is missing.I tryed to post the pictures from the web I was unsuccessful.It will also need to be recanvased.This site has been a wealth of information my next move will be to buy the wood &canvas book from your website.I will let you know if I am successful In obtaining this canoe. Thanks again for all your help Jon k

Steel tacks

Jon,

Take a good look at the tacks. Old Town did build some canoes with steel tacks due to the rationing of brass during WWII. Some folks have found the steel tacks to be severely compromised during restoration requiring much retacking.

However, I restored an Old Town with steel tacks and found them to be very competent. Like anything, it depends how well the canoe was cared for.

Keep us posted on your restoration.

Fitz

Back