Help with canoe identification?

CharliePDX

I have a wood and canvas canoe that I would like to know the maker and, if possible, generally when it might have been constructed. I bought it last year, paddled it, and thought it would be a winter project. That didn't happen and isn't likely anytime soon. It's a nice canoe, good lines, needs work but is in decent shape, and I hate to see the boat just sit in my garage. Before I pass it on to someone with more time and energy, I thought it would be interesting to see if I could find out more about it. I would appreciate any ideas you might have. Oh, and I'm in Oregon, if that is any kind of clue.

Thanks much!

Charlie

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Well, it is a strip that runs the length of the canoe from what looks like the end of the stem to the end of the stern. Could well have ben added at some point although from the wear it looks about the same as the ribs. I guess I will post it on Craigslist and let the next person figure it out.

Thanks.

Charlie Landman
Portland, Oregon

Thin untapered,unchamfered ribs say....home-built to me....
Saw a similar home-built canoe on a Wisconsin Craigslist recently. It was discussed on this forum a few weeks ago.
Possibly a plan from Popular Mechanics or Boy's Life from the 40's or 50's....
OR...possibly an obscure builder make...

Back