help please with unknown boat

ssfletch

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, Any help appreciated in identifying maker and vintage of this canoe.

Boat is ~ 12'.

Serial Number 52073 12, stamped on top face of each stem.

Previous owner says boat originated in North East, mid-century, from White factory but no other identifying marks. See photos for help in ID through construction details.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve Fletcher.
IMG_3119.jpg
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg
IMG_3128.jpg
IMG_3138.jpg

Could very well be an Old Town; see attached build record. If so, it was not offered in the catalog. The Adirondack League Club was, and still is, very exclusive.

Attachments

• 52073.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 231
Thanks Dan. The remaining outwale is green as seen here which matches record, although I'm guessing an 1918 boat might have been re-canvased and painted a few times in between!

IMG_3163.jpg

For some reason I can't attach the build record for your 12' Old Town lightweight. Somebody with better computer skills than I, will probably do so soon.
The late Chris Merigold, former WCHA president, also had a 12' Old Town lightweight. As to whether it's worth $200 or not, I believe that the answer is YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Thanks Gil. I did buy the boat and am ordering the few books on canvas/wood restoration that others have suggested. Can't wait to get started after my University semester ends. I'll perhaps start a thread to document the progress/process.
Cheers,
Steve F.

Back