Great Canadian

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
Some friends have a mint Great Canadian 11' 9". They would like to know what it is, and possibly part with it. The serial number is ZZ00160802.

Roby Canots anyone?

I practically lived in a canoe as I grew up, but just bought my first wood canoe last summer, an ~20yo Great Canadian Voyageur 14 footer, with a clear fiberglass covering showing the wood (most people think it is gorgeous), mahogany arrowhead decks with integrated carry handles, and mahogany gunwales and babiche seats for 2. It weighs in at 49 lbs, has a flat bottom but also a VERY soft chine (i.e. the flat part is relatively small), so it seems similar to a shallow arch bottom. Mine came to me in virtually mint condition, after supposedly sitting outdoors (must have been protected somehow) for 20 years. I've figured out that it was made by Les Canots Roby, of northern Quebec.

These are very attractive, very lightweight canoes, which are or used to be sold in the US by Great Canadian, and which I DO see for sale from time to time, both in the US and Canada, yet I don't see much about them. Could that be because the company seems to speak only French? Because it doesn't have much web presence? When I take her out on Walden Pond (Concord, MA), I get a constant stream of compliments on my canoe (when I take my FG fishing canoe out, I get nothing!).

I'd like to learn more about them. Does anybody have the scoop?

Last edited:
Back