Got a picture showing a Carleton in side view?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I've got a 15' 1922 Carleton that I've just started to work on. The stems are pretty well shot so I'll need to replace much of them. Can anyone provide me with a picture showing a side view of the stem area? I'd like to know whether...
1) The stem maintained a constant curving provide until it met the deck & gunnals... or if the stem's arc became straighter as it met the deck.
2) At what angle did the stem meet the deck.

When the wood you've got is rotted away it's hard to tell. And as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks!

Howie,

Here are two photos of the bow of my 1927 16-foot Carleton. I have more images if you need a slightly different angle.

Norm

Attachments

• 1927 Carleton stem.jpg
    1927 Carleton stem.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 1927 Carleton 2.jpg
    1927 Carleton 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 226
That's perfect. Thanks!
Wait - on 2nd thought... how about a pic showing the top of the deck & inwale area near the stem. I'm not sure how tapered the inwale tips were.

Howie,

Here's a picture of my 1927 Carleton deck.

Norm

Attachments

• 1927 Carleton deck.jpg
    1927 Carleton deck.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 222
Thanks. Interesting... Yours has the Old Town style star-head bolts, where with mine the screw holes are covered with a plug of wood.

Howie,

Yeah, that was confusing when I first saw the boat as a hull. It clearly was not an Old Town, but it had diamond-head bolts and a serial number in the right place. After about 1910, the Carletons were built in the Old Town factory and shared a lot of hardware. The carry thwart really helped identify it as a Carleton.

Norm

Yours has the Old Town style star-head bolts, where with mine the screw holes are covered with a plug of wood.

Yes, yours is from 1922 which is before Old Town and Carleton started using the diamond headed bolts. Norm's is from 1927 and the transition appears to have been around 1923 for CS grade canoes. Better late than never?

Benson

Back