Floor Racks for Old Town

Splinter

Wood Girl #1186
We will be making new floor racks for an Old Town (13' long) I need some help with dimensions of the individual slats that make the floor rack. We will cut white oak from a single clear 6/4 piece of lumber. What thickness and width is desirable for the long slats? Thanks.

The messages at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?360 have some detailed floor rack information for canoes that are 18 and 16 feet long. Good luck,

Benson

Awesome, thank you Benson!

Looks like the longer boats have about 65" of un-racked length, so I'll go conservative with Length-50" and trim accordingly.

This one's kind of an oddball, being a Fifty Pounder, wide & flat, but strangely only 13' long. (...and has the telltale sign of a sail mount) (imagine sailing that!).

photos

This 13' 50 pounder from the 60's i did last year. For visual reference. the attachment slats were upside down for some reason.

Attachments

• 201_3113.jpg
    201_3113.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 518
  • SprintPhoto_bdvsp4.jpg
    SprintPhoto_bdvsp4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 302
the attachment slats were upside down for some reason.

The attachment slats are usually upside down from when the floor rack was purchased after the canoe shipped or when half rubs were installed. Was the floor rack listed on the original build record for this one?

Benson

Well, that's a good point. the build record does not show a floor rack. this canoe is 175,xxx ser. From 1966. Perhaps the rack was from another canoe and that's why it did not fit with the slats underneath between ribs. fwiw, they now fit.

Back