donation to antique boat museum-declined!

Bob, did you try the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough, ON? I don't know what museum you tried or what the link boat really is but I was at the CCM less than 2 weeks ago and it is a must see for canoe nuts...

CYA, Joe

There are a number of reasons why an offered boat may be declined by a museum.

The first and foremost consideration is whether the donation is compatible with the museum's mission. For example, the Adirondack Museum is not likely to be interested in an Old Town canoe, in any condition, unless it has a provenance that ties it directly to some aspect of Adirondack life, like being owned by a famous Adirondacker.

Next question is does the donation fill a gap in the museum's collection? If it fits their mission, and they don't have one like it, they will probably be interested. The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton already has three Linkanoes. Adding a fourth doesn't really add anything to the collection, but takes up valuable storage space. The museums I have been working with don't have a lot of storage, so they can't afford to be the nation's attic.

Condition will also be a factor - a canvas canoe in original, unrestored condition will be much more desirable than a restored one, regardless of how well the restoration was done. In some cases, a derelict canoe will be taken in if it has historical value. A Rushton decked sailing canoe in very poor condition will likely be accepted, a Morris in similar condition probably won't.

Many museums will accept donations for fundraising purposes, you might explore this option. The Antique Boat Museum's annual auction is one such example.

just emailed the canadian museum. by the way it is just the canvas not the boat. i thought the museum in clayton had a canoe without the canvas. it's not a big deal, it makes a good cover for my woodpile anyway

Back