Curse of the foam roller

Steve Ambrose

Nut in a Canoe
We never used to have trash in our paint but now the cheap 4" foam rollers are shedding like crazy. We've tried several brands and several types all with similarly disappointing results. Please share if you have found one that works!

Steve, what coatings and solvents/thinners are you using? I used to buy the same as Dave, and believe it or not the dollar store here sells a 2 pack of what appear to be the same high density foam rollers and they've never given a problem. Occaisionally they will separate from the plastic sleeve that goes on the roller frame (solid rod about 3/8 thick) but only after rolling epoxy coats for too long with the same unit. Sorry to hear you're having problems, its a great time saver for build coats when they perform .

I only use the WEST System yellow foam rollers. They are certainly not a bargain, but at the cost of the resin, varnish or marine enamels that I am usually applying with them, and the pain in the ass value of having to repair bad application jobs, it doesn't make sense to risk using cheap rollers. They are a tool, just like any other tool you use for building or repairing your boats, and for the most part, good tools work better than cheap tools.

Back