copper napthenate on canvas?

jecollins

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Anybody ever used this stuff (sold as wood preservative for fence post treatment) on canvas? I covered my 1950 Old Town in about 1978, and within 15 years the canvas was rotting along the gunwales. So I'm wondering if this stuff would be a good substitute for white lead.

I use it often. With the canvas on and the canoe upside down apply, in a well ventilated area, with a 4" foam roller to 75 % of the canoe. It will wick down into the rest of the canvas. Read and follow the safety instructions as it is quite toxic. It will cause the canvas to shrink as it drys which is a bonus. After 24 hours you can apply your canvas filler.

Dave,
What do you mean by 75% of the canoe? Leave gaps between areas? Cover the sides but not bottom?

Thanks

Start from the highest point, completely coating the canvas except for about a 6" border at the bottom. The liquid will migrate down and soak this area. If you do coat the whole canvas you will end up with a real mess on the floor by morning. Learned the hard way.

RE: white lead filler

I have met and gotten to know Bill Clement in the past several months, and as far as I am concerned...He is right up there with Thurlow and Stelmok.If you have any questions about filler, send him an email and he will respond...I am prparing to canvas a w/c, an OTCA and after I replace 3 broken ribs, a Chestnut, and I am going to go back and get more filler from him....He will also sell you the unleaded filler if your afraid of it!....Plus he is a great source of suggested procedures to use in any step of your restoration.

Oh yeah! That remark is NOT intended to take anything away from Thurlow or Stelmok...I have a great respect for them also..
Try giving Bill a call...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back