? Chestnut sectional canoe

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have been asked to restore a sectional canoe. I've not had a real look at it yet, but on first glance it is just outwales, and stem tops which need renewing. (the ribs are rather thick so have withstood the abuse of years. I believe it' a mid - late 90s boat. It has the remains of a Chestnut sticker on the deck. I've tried to find information about it off t'internet, but can find nothing about a 20' chestnut sectional canoe. I'll have much more information when I get it back home next week, when I'll put some pictures up, but in the mean time, does anyone know anything or can point me to information about this type of boat?
Thanks

Sam

If you can take a look at National Geographic (USA) magazine, January 1952, there is an article titled Solving the Riddle of Chubb Crater. In this you will see a sectional Chestnut canoe, which I believe was a standard canoe but cut into 3 or 4 pieces and some U-shaped "bulkheads" added, and these were rubber faced. The sections were bolted together, as can be seen in the photo on page 29. I saw one of these at the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough, ON. Perhaps they can provide more information about their canoe. Tom McCloud

Attachments

• page-09.jpg
    page-09.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 332
I've now got this boat back at my house. I think its a 26' two part chestnut Ogilvy. It was imported to the uk in 1999 through American traders I believe and was used for promotion by a canoe company/ dealer. It has a serial number 94 8173. It has the remains of a chestnut sticker - would it have been made by cedarwood canoes do you think? The owner says he has the catalogue it was ordered from somewhere but can't locate it at present.

Its a real beast. Covered in fibreglass from new and not a boat to portage by yourself - even in two halves. The ends are in a poor state as are the outwales. The ribs (apart from the tips) and planking appear good but I need to wait to see what they look like under the fibreglass. Initial thoughts are to install new inwales below the existing ones so I won't need to do the tips and hopefully, but I can't really see yet, mean I don't need to do much to the stems. Luckily all the srews are robinson square drive so should come out without too much trouble.

I have to say it's great when people pay you to do this!

DSC01724.jpg DSC01722.jpg DSC01723.jpg

Wow ! It looks like twelve or thirteen seats in twenty-six feet. The plan must be to man alternate sides. Here's a pic of a thirty footer with an eight-place crew weighing about thirteen hundred pounds. (Laminated 1/4 in. double-wall corrugated fiberboard, two hundred pounds).

Attachments

• Accr2eSmall.jpg
    Accr2eSmall.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Accr2e.jpg
    Accr2e.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 267
The circa 1906 Dean catalog offered 25 foot long sectional canoes which claimed a capacity of 35 people as shown below.

Benson

Attachments

• page-08.gif
    page-08.gif
    339.5 KB · Views: 302
  • page-13.gif
    page-13.gif
    74.3 KB · Views: 274
Finished

26' Ogilvy - all finished and should be on the water on Thursday.
It makes my playmate look quite petite!

DSC01884.jpg

Sam

Well done Sam. When are you delivering to Colin. Please send me some good photos for the Newsletter. Now the EM White and the Old Town !!
Thanks,

Nick

Back