Canvas on or canvas off

bartcanoe

Curious about Wooden Canoes
New guy starting first restoration, and I have a question about getting started. I've read and received conflicting advice about stripping the finish on the interior of the canoe. Some people say leave the canvas on to keep the mess down, and others have said take the canvas off first. Which is the better way? What are the advantages of the chosen method over the other?

Thanks,

Dave

Remove the canvas first. This allows you to clean between the planking gaps, as you strip, with a vaccuum cleaner or compressed air. It also allows you to final flush with water as you go. I also remove any damaged planking before stripping.

I also prefer to remove old canvas first. It makes the thing alot lighter to move around in addition to the advantages already mentioned by Dave L.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I hope to get the canvas off this weekend, and start stripping.

Dave

I've also heard that if you replace any necessary ribs and planking prior to the nasty business that the gunk will help stain the new wood. Has anyone had success with this?

I'm doing this with the current project but in the past when I've done it i really did not experience any benefit in matching color/patina. I'd have to say my experience was below expectation but did have some small effect. At least it didn't hurt.

Back