Can't Identify this hull/canvas covering.

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
These old boats were sometimes considered covered canoes. This is a 1950's Folbot which is all wood and brass. I have resurrected this and put on the skin/hull with uncommon difficulty and method. I believe the hull is original to the boat. However, It doesn't seem to be rubber, certainly not vinyl or hypalon. If it weren't that it was made for a folder, I would say it's just canvas and paint. I did a Trailcraft canoe once and canvas and paint does work. However, it's not removable. Anyone want to guess? I'm going to try and patch the holes and tears. What to use?
Folbot skin 1.jpg
Folbot skin 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1950 Folbot cockpit.jpg
    1950 Folbot cockpit.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 31
Someone painted to patch leaks. That silver paint looks like what I have used to seal leaks in older travel trailers. But no hint of the original waterproofing.

I own a Folbot now, and have had two others. The oldest was a seventies? kit built Super. It had double vinyl skin. The two more modern folders use inflatable style skin. I don't know what yours is covered with. My Super was stable enough to easily stand in it, and was a decent sailer.

Duct tape!
Grumble, grumble, that's already an over used product. When I take the skin off and drive to Canada I want to be able to put it on without first peeling the old duct tape. I made a mistake with a Peterborough canoe once. I don't need to repeat. And it still leaked.
taped peterborough at lake.jpg
t that.

The Folbot my brothers and I built from a kit in 1965 was covered with Naugahyde, i.e. fake leather like you might find on lounge chair. It consisted of a fabric backing with vinyl outer surface.

Yes, That was typical into the 70's or later. This boat preceeds naugahyde. Seems to be cloth impregnated with paint.

I wonder if it was re-covered at some point.
I wondered the same thing. I think it's original. Very few people ever bought new hulls. The cost of a new hull is half the entire boat. If you wear out or damage an original hull it's cheaper to buy a new boat, cetainly cheaper to buy a used boat.

In my book about building Kayaks (including folding Kayaks), it says PVC coated canvas is the stuff to use.

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_174009193.jpg
    PXL_20240323_174009193.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240323_173838246~2.jpg
    PXL_20240323_173838246~2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 15
PVC on canvas lasted a good while. I have a bag full of patching material and leftover pieces from 60's and 70's boats. Naugahyde, PVC, or hypalon, it's all much the same with important differences. I'm dealing with a boat that preceeds all the Dow Chemical stuff. Unless someone can tell me different it's just canvas and paint. Trailcraft canoes were all built this way. I've had other canoe and kayak with canvas and paint. It works but punctures easily depending on the weight of the canvas. I'm using this. Worked well on a Feathercraft. Nasty stuff. Ventilation required.
H-66 can.jpg

You mentioned Trailcraft kit canoes above -- When I built one in the early seventies, the instructions provided for covering with fiberglass/epoxy, or with canvas and paint. I opted for canvas, but spent a few extra bucks and used two-part epoxy paint from Sears on the canvas -- after mixing, the paint went on pretty much like ordianary paint, seemed to make a pretty sturdy covering.

There are numerous inflatable boat brush or roll-on rubberized coatings available and have been for at least the past 40 years. Just about all of them come in grey. Compared to regular paint they are much more flexible, so the boats can be folded up without the coating cracking. That's what the surface of your boat looks like to me.

Kayak or canoe, they both finish the same. I've had this over five years on the ceiling. There's a new kayak covering that is near bullet proof but not simple to put on. This is another project I'll need help with. That by the way is a Trailcraft in my picture.

Attachments

• Ceiling Kayak.jpg
    Ceiling Kayak.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 26
Treewater, I have repaired / maintained a 1960s Klepper with similar products. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

Treewater, I have repaired / maintained a 1960s Klepper with similar products. Look forward to seeing how it works out.
That HH-66 says to use three thin coats however, without spraying on the coats become uneven. I have finished and plan to sail tomorrow. We'll see....
There are numerous inflatable boat brush or roll-on rubberized coatings available and have been for at least the past 40 years. Just about all of them come in grey. Compared to regular paint they are much more flexible, so the boats can be folded up without the coating cracking. That's what the surface of your boat looks like to me.
Yes, these have been around since Dow made hull material for Zodiacs. This boat preceeds those I believe. Right now, I think I have bragging rights for the oldest folder. I'm sure some WWII are out there but I've not seen them.

That HH-66 is tricky to use. I think this one dried too long before contact, it fell right off. The plus side, on the interior, simple fabric glue, wax paper and a shim for pressure. Worked great. I've been out weeks with Trailcraft and other skin on frame canoes (painted on the outside). This is the way to go.

Attachments

• Folbot 1950 patch off.jpg
    Folbot 1950 patch off.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 19
  • folbot interior patch 1950.jpg
    folbot interior patch 1950.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 20
Back