Canoe shelf-christmas present

bob goeckel

Wooden Canoe Maniac
8'3 bob's special for my daughter and son-in-law.

Attachments

• 10-29-07 017.jpg
    10-29-07 017.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 387
a very special present, indeed!

It certainly IS a Bob's Special--- Bob Goeckel's very special hand-made one-of-a-kind canoe shelf... bound to be a family heirloom. Plan to take pictures of her reaction when she opens this gift!

yes, but it was too big to hide so........ we moved out the penn yan and are hiding it in plain sight. hehe:D she'll never even notice.

Bob,
Your philosophy of giving is an insperation. What a beautiful gift and I mean more than the object itself!
Merry Christmas to you both too!
Denis

dave, remember you gave it away to someone you cared about also. i like that! i like this old quote:

All you have shall some day be given;
Therefore give now, that the season of giving
may be yours and not your inheritors.

remember it's all just STUFF.
merry christmas!

Yes, I guess I did.

A bit of ramble about canoe book shelves. I cringe to think a perfectly good, restorable canoe would be chopped, especially the significant ones but-

More people are likely to see the bookcase in the den than the wood canoe in the barn. More people then are likely to remember and strike up a conversation about that ole canoe stuffed away somewhere that is one spring cleaning away from the brushpile/burn pile. More grerat old canoes may actually be saved in the end. I think of Canoe bookcases as ambassadors for their kind.

i agree. it's too bad the penn yan was in such terrible shape. i know some thought it was saveable but i think there would have been an entirely new canoe sitting there. besides you are doing just that.

Yes, i did

The replica turned out well enough. Paddled it solo with the big Shaw/tenney paddle. I like the promises it makes. fast and solid. At this point we are considering a trip into the Sylvania tract. this summer.
Love da U.P. and da peeple dare eh.

BTW i now have waterfall Old Town Completely dissassembled. there were twelve ribs that were unbroken. the stems are real twisted and i am trying to get them back to vertical by laying them horizontal on a flat surface.

I softened them with a kerosene bath and have now treated them with boiling water and weighing them down flat, so they'll be vertical again. Someday.

Back